We have a....errr.....floaty thing in the top of the South

This is probably the one only practical thing they have come up with on the whole marine pests front. Every other imitative has been around rules and regulations that are in reality difficult to comply with, and only capture the vast majority of boaties that are doing a good job in the first place.

From the story I take it they are after the derelict boats on swing moorings and the like, the classic 'mussel farm'. Once they get infested, if they are any distance away from a slipway, you just increase the spread of the fan worm by moving the boat.

I think that is where the reference to recreational comes from. I've no problem with that. Abondoned boats on swing moorings (and other private berths) is an ongoing issue.

I think it's a great idea. There's 10-12 mussel and fanworm farms near my boat that could do with this treatment. AC should get one for the river - treat a boat every 6 months and bill the mooring owner. Three goes in a row and your license gets cancelled

• Upvote 1

And some of you wonder why it is getting harder to sell your boat?

I think it's getting harder to sell boats boats cause the weather is so sh*t its just about impossible to take the family out for a nice sail...

• Upvote 1

You guys need to keep this in context with it being the Sounds. We don't have the same issues of forgotten boats becoming Marine Farms down here. Moorings are far too expensive and rare to come by. Plus there is no rule of having to have a boat on a mooring, or lose it like Auckland does. Also, moorings are inspected on a two yearly interval here, not the three yearly Auckland has.

Aside from that though, if the Fan Worm and any other invasive species is on Boat hulls, then it is already too late in my view. Just as IT joked. Except in seriousness, if various critters have made it to Boat Hulls, then it has already made it to Rocks, Reefs and marine farms. Picking on moored vessels only is ridiculous.

Now adding to this sillyness, we now have an added issue down here. The Council is now employing the Cawthrown Institute to do a study on the Sea Bed of all Moorings. The news is that some environment person has made the claim that moorings are destroying the Sea Bed and that this is an issue. They are worried about the Mussels and other Flora and Fawna being destroyed by the mooring chain dragging around the bottom. :roll:
Personally, I think there is something else entirely behind this. Several years ago, the Council, via their Company Port Marlborough, want to extend the Marina. But some Moorings need to go to make room and that sparked off a great big argument and the local Iwi blocked them from taking some of their land to build the extension. So it all calmed down a bit and ever since, the Port company has been working at getting Moorings shifted. But it has never been plain sailing and arguements on that aspect has held that part at bay as well.
So just two weeks ago, the discussion of the Marina extension has once again been brought back out onto the table. Except this time, there is also this discussion on moorings an that maybe moorings have to go. If that ever happened, then it would force many into the Marina, which would have to be built of course. Coincidence?? Hmmm,maybe.
What happens to the rest of us that can't afford a Marina berth, I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

Hi Wheels,

This story sounds like it gives a bit more insight into whats going on:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/350133/protection-urged-for-tory-channel-in-queen-charlotte-sound

On the face of it, it sounds like some good stuff, working to protect some unique marine areas. Then there is the odd line and comment about the 'number of survey's going on at the moment' and ' how good areas with fast moving tides and lots of nutrients are for all sorts of aquaculture....

I rather suspect the ground work is quietly being done to enable more aquaculture to take over the sounds. There is some very big money behind it. King Salmon have been having major ding-dongs trying to get consent for more farms in some part of the sounds I haven't heard of. Some society has been giving them all sorts of grief via the formal processes, appeals, District Plans hearings processes etc.

All I can think is those pesky moorings are occupying valuable seabed that can be put to productive economic use...

What I can say in full knowledge though, is for a Resource Consent for aquaculture to get through, they need a solid baseline of the existing biodiversity etc and then a bit of giggery pockery to show they wont have any 'adverse effects'. If there is deep, fast flowing water, the effects of salmon farms are greatly reduced. Not sure what that has to do with moorings, but if the area with moorings is already infested with fanworm - its hard for aquaculture to have an adverse effect on it (if its already stuffed), or if the mooring chain is destroying the benthic diversity of the seabed, then a salmon farm again can't do any 'more' damage.

More undercooked science:

Yep.

Bit like Kauri die back and human transmission.

I have two acres of kauri with high proportion infestation.

No tracks and I haven't been up there for fifteen years.

Ummm......is the Rahui,  PR, PC, or clutching at straws?

Kauri die back I have put down to spraying of 1080,Waitakere/Hunua has die back yet where were  in January with lots of Kauri around no die back and never had a 1080 drop.

right back to fan worm

Kauri die back I have put down to spraying of 1080,Waitakere/Hunua has die back yet where were  in January with lots of Kauri around no die back and never had a 1080 drop.

right back to fan worm

And I thought I was into conspiracy theories.

By spraying 1080 I assume you mean dropping?

Surely this would be straight forward to corroborate with the areas that have had 1080 spread and the areas suffering dieback?

Seems like we are getting forced out of boating , marina prices putting buyers off , councls wanting no moorings, a worm that fans taking over , and Mother Nature won’t be nice so we can go boating , it’s not easy

I rather suspect the ground work is quietly being done to enable more aquaculture to take over the sounds. There is some very big money behind it. King Salmon have been having major ding-dongs trying to get consent for more farms in some part of the sounds I haven't heard of. Some society has been giving them all sorts of grief via the formal processes, appeals, District Plans hearings processes etc.

That is a slightly different situation and plus, there are two parts to the Fish Farming. One was increasing the Number of Farms. But none of those proposed areas are inner Sounds Bays, so no impact on Mooring areas. The second part is re shifting the current Farm positions away from the lower tidal flow areas out into deep faster moving water. This is due to water warming and getting better water flow. I am all for it. But man "Sounds Residents" (some do not even live in the Sounds) have complained that this would be a hindrance  to navigation and other arguments. Load of rubbish, but they keep the entire process tied up. King Salmon have spent well over $10mill on resource consent fighting so far. I think they have come to the end of their tether on it and are threatening that the future of Fish Farming is not looking good if things don't change. The Gvt is even in support and gave them permission to shift the Farms, but that got stopped by Local Gvt. It is a huge income for the Sounds and that is threatened by these few that keep arguing against it.

None of this has anything to do with Moorings.

That is a slightly different situation and plus, there are two parts to the Fish Farming. One was increasing the Number of Farms. But none of those proposed areas are inner Sounds Bays, so no impact on Mooring areas. The second part is re shifting the current Farm positions away from the lower tidal flow areas out into deep faster moving water. This is due to water warming and getting better water flow. I am all for it. But man "Sounds Residents" (some do not even live in the Sounds) have complained that this would be a hindrance  to navigation and other arguments. Load of rubbish, but they keep the entire process tied up. King Salmon have spent well over $10mill on resource consent fighting so far. I think they have come to the end of their tether on it and are threatening that the future of Fish Farming is not looking good if things don't change. The Gvt is even in support and gave them permission to shift the Farms, but that got stopped by Local Gvt. It is a huge income for the Sounds and that is threatened by these few that keep arguing against it.

None of this has anything to do with Moorings.

You do not want or need more farms,they are the most pollutant thing around. Try google Tasmania salmon farms,they want to increase but are under huge public pressure to close up and go away.They deprive the ocean of oxygen.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-17/okehampton-bay-fish-farm-protest-takes-to-the-water/8954512

I am not greenie ,I know we need employment but at what cost to the environment presides I hate salmon ;-)

You do not want or need more farms,they are the most pollutant thing around. Try google Tasmania salmon farms,they want to increase but are under huge public pressure to close up and go away.They deprive the ocean of oxygen.

You have to look at where those farms are and where these farms are. The Farms here are in Deep water. VERY deep water and huge current flow. An enormous volume of water flowing in and out with every tide. So depleting the water of oxygen is not a problem. They do want to get the Farms out into even deeper water with greater current and that would be even better. I don't have a problem with the Farms at all. There are not a lot of them and they are not large in area. They bring in a huge amount to the economy. I think we can have both a good economic income from Marine Farming as long as what ever is farmed is managed correctly. I think too many that have no clue get too much say when it comes to RC, I would rather them out in the open than taking up some pretty Bay.

• Upvote 1