Photo

Go on Nats, pick Collins as your leader...I dare you.

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#291 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,936 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Because they have it and I don't which makes me jealous and it makes me happy to see them punished.

How each came to have what they do or don't is irrelevant to the green eyed monster.

You see that sentiment day in day out.

Sad really but it's there and it does suit the politicians to make sure they keep that in plain view so it's not going to go away anytime soon.

Don't believe you KM. You have a house in Auckland, right? Then, you are almost certainly a millionaire - at least on paper. Same as many of us on here. Doesn't mean we have piles of cash hidden under the mattress though :-(

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#292 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

Rates are an asset tax. Regardless of your income or relative use of services they are levied on the value of your house. Not all expensive houses are owned by rich people. Why should the elderly widow in remmers on super only pay 3 times as much towards council squandering than the family of 6 with an income 10 times as much in Henderson

Or why should someone living in a million dollar house with a 500k mortgage pay twice the rates of someone living in a mortgage free 500k house.

Rates = asset tax

Never thought of that.. makes sense. Trying to get my head around it all as in how you pay tax on assets. I know from a business sense you pay tax on money that is used to buy assets but you don't pay tax on depreciation. Appreciate that titbit shared in plain English

#293 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Because they have it and I don't which makes me jealous and it makes me happy to see them punished.
How each came to have what they do or don't is irrelevant to the green eyed monster.

And this sentiment is seen regularly by those who don't want to (or are incapable) of having a serious conversation about genuine issues that effect people other than themselves.

#294 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Hang on a minute sabre, there are silver desks landing in peoples backyards all over Auckland that need to be discussed

#295 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Sabre, an Asset is not just a House.

Thanks for that in depth financial analysis of what can be classed as an asset Wheels.. I feel so much better informed :)

#296 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

And you know what they say about aliens landing in your backyard, it’s only a matter of time before Someone gets the old anal probe treatment

#297 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

With all this talk about taxes and means testing I think they will be doing well to get a probe up his......

#298 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

Again people reading what they want to read not what was written. No wonder so many have seriously knotted knickers.

I thought we have move past Van Tie's poor driving skills and his/her/it's interview?

And you know what they say about aliens landing in your backyard, it’s only a matter of time before Someone gets the old anal probe treatment

I had a pilot medical last week and was bracing myself for a X Files moment. While it was intensive there was no probing. I left  happy.

#299 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hah, George Wood nailed shut his own political coffin when he responded that if you live in a expensive home and you moan about the rates just sell up and move along to something a bit more affordable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users