Photo

Go on Nats, pick Collins as your leader...I dare you.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,363 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Agreed Native.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#42 Dagwood

Dagwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

A dime towards Destiny nah - agreed that goes against the grain. "No evidence" though? Every interview I heard from principals had them tabling numerous achievements and at no or minimal extra cost to the taxpayer. I'm not close enough or qualified to know what % of that is fairy dust but if it's all make believe, where are the facts from Hipkins? I'm happy to have them pointed out to me and maybe the decision would then appear to be justified.

While our mainstream school system might be excellent, it's clearly failing a significant group of kids for a variety of reasons and doesn't have the flexibility to adapt to meet their needs. Seems we either accept that and the expensive ramifications or we implement something to pick these kids up as early as possible. There seemed to be a sniff of progress with these charter schools that would at least be worthy of further investigation but it appears Hipkins came in with his mind made up or made up for him.

#43 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

National tried to break the teaching profession, it underfunded education and increased teacher workloads with stupid national standards, an idea proven to produce worse outcomes.  If they genuinely were interested in outcomes for children instead of foisting a privatisation agenda on parents then they would have taken a different path.

As a matter of interest whats your personal interest in this?  I sat on a school board for quite a few years so I got to see how things worked and I can assure you that the right wing radio version of our school system is not the reality.

#44 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

I've been giving the charter school thing a lot or thought, mainly cause I don't understand it.

It was a policy from the Act Party - one of the 4 parties that formed the coalition that was in govt for the last 9 years, and rapidly loosing relevance, even though I was once a staunch supporter.

I don't actually understand enough about charter schools and how they are any different from the state integrated schools or any other schooling option that receives state funding (such as all the Catholic schools around, that run their own very strong agenda whilst maintaining the govt requirements)

My understanding is that they don't require either trained teachers or unionised teachers. I have a bad feeling Labour is only going after the charter schools because of the union issue. If that were the case I would be very disappointed.

If it is more about philosophy, i.e. that schools should not be run at a profit by a private organisation (with state funding), then shut them all down.

There is definitely a place for alternative schools with alternative styles. Both for the over achievers (which is fairly well covered by the fee paying private system) and the others. I would far prefer the kids with issues to be at a Military Academy in Albany than in my kids classroom causing trouble, and I'm more than happy my tax dollars ensure that kid with issues isn't in my kids classroom (and that they get a good education that suits them, as that is good for society generally, as well).

#45 Dagwood

Dagwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

Fair enough. That's was behind my original question to Hipkins.  - where's the other side or view? It could be in something as simple as a press release with the facts as bullet points.

My interest? I've never been on a school board or similar. My kids are pretty much out of the education system so I guess my interest for now is little more than despair that in a country with massive opportunities, we have so many kids failing to reach their potential and and an equally disturbing number ending up with soup for brains from drugs, in jail or dead. Meanwhile there seems to be a lot of fiddling while Rome burns...  

#46 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

the unions are still very powerful with labour

the teacher's union is 1 of the largest

they don't like charter schools as they threaten the union's control of education in nz

that's about it afaik

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#47 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

As Native said - charter schools are not being shut down. 

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#48 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted Today, 04:11 AM

120 MPs  only 27 that I can identify from there name, the rest who knows what.where or who they are where they from and what they do.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#49 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted Today, 07:53 AM

So because you don't like unions, you'll keep on supporting charter schools? Whaaaa ???

Don't know about NZ on this issue, but in my part of gringolandia charters are thoroughly corrupt . . 

to the point that on line charters like (ECOT) bill the state for students that never log in to their 

lessons even once. Even our Reich-Wing state government finally had it with that crowd, and cut them off. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users