57 replies to this topic

#11 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

I brought an English marinised motor for my boat. Some of the motors I saw in the factory in England while I was there were set up for the canal boats same block but beautyfull painted and polished brass fittings , some steel parts dipped and polished on brass or bronze I was told they were for canal boats

#12 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

Yes, that's the juggling act. We are looking at boats 10-12 metres , around 10 tons with preferably not more than 80hp. That HP is really too much for the french canals where the speed limit is around 6km/hr. The problem is that in order to get from one canal system to another you are obliged to travel for quite some distance on the Rhone where the current is 2-3 knots and often up to 5knots if it's been raining. The Rhone valley is also subject to the mistral so you may find yourself punching into 40+knots of headwind. The juggling act is trying to get an engine that will cope with both scenarios.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#13 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Chris, a 100 horse motor would be fine, and give you the power to push a current. Personally I'd prefer a non turbo version as then there is no turbo vane to carbon up when running for long periods at reduced power. 1/2 throttle is fine. Just remember that it's good to use more when you can.
Think about these diesel motors in their designed role - automotive. They don't normally do long periods with the throttle wide open, just a few seconds or minutes hauling a load up a hill now and then.
Also, a canal boat is no yacht - much harder harder hull shape to push through the water.
So my 2c worth is don't get too hung up on the power, and a 6 is better than a 4. (lower revving, more torque, longer life, smoother, less likely to be turbocharged).

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#14 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thanks IT,
The top contender at the moment is an 11m boat with a 6cyl 90hp Ford Lehman in it and marinized by someone called Mermaid Marine in the UK. Supposedly with 1500hrs on it which is a bit hard to believe.
I am to be dispatched to Holland shortly to see for myself.
Young at heart.

#15 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

Try beta marine uk look at ther stock for canal boats there priced right compared to this place

#16 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Personally I wouldn't touch a marinised ford with a barge pole, some people like them (affectionately known as a bus engine) but can give problems if not used properly.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#17 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

So can every motor Willow. I know of several Ford Lehmans with high hours (15000 +) and one that was stuffed at 1800 hours...

Anything can be broken.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#18 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

IT, you've said a couple of times now not to overthink the engine thing, or words to that effect. In retrospect I am convinced that is good advice. So whatever vessel we choose will ultimately be decided by a good survey report on hull, systems and machinery, and we will be content with whatever engine powers it. With the probable exception of a Chinese knockoff.
Through many decades of ownership, our mantra has always been, Never spend more on a boat than you can afford to lose.
Same applies now, and if we can't find a sound, suitable vessel within our strict budget constrants then we won't be buying.
Young at heart.

#19 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

The big advantage of a 6 over a 4 cylinder is the smoothness. For an engine mounted inside where you live that is a big consideration. 60 degrees between the cylinders firing is so much better than 90.

#20 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

6 cylinder 4 cylinder why dont they build 3 or 5 cylinders? take the diahatsu car smooth running being 3 pistons so I can see no problem with a 5 ?what I can gather the 3 works well because of balance.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users