Another blow

Fogg

It must be largest storm in area surely. I imagine that Hurricane in the North Hemi would be largest in intensity, I would hope anyway.

But yes, very strong winds and lots of rain coming. We are water logged here, like much of the country for that matter. It isn't going to take much to cause some major flooding anywhere in the country this time.

And the winds are going to be upthere. So if it's not too late, go check mooring lines.

Im about to find out if my 2.2t mooring block is going to hold our boat :( Bit nervous. It's a bit different being out on a swing mooring. It's going to take some getting used to for me.

It's a bit different being out on a swing mooring. It's going to take some getting used to for me.

Doubt if you ever will.

Always remember going with Dad every time we had a strong NE blow to "check the boat" at Glendowie. This consisted of looking at at through binos through the windscreen of the HQ Holden in the car park. God knows what we'd have done with an 8' dinghy complete with lawnmower engine outboard if there ever was an issue !

Friday: Northwest 25 knots, rising to westerly 35 knots gusting 50 knots possibly 70 knots in squalls in the evening. Rough sea, becoming very rough in the evening. A few showers, then poor visibility in rain from late morning. Squally showers with possible thunder from evening.

Farrrrrrrrrk!!!!

AC - have you got anyone who can go check on your boat, let me know if you don't.

Thanks, Squid, yes I do. I've got a friend at GH who's been babysitting it all then time I've been away, running the engine etc. So I think he'll be keeping an eye on her this w/e too.

Good luck to anyone who does the Simrad. No balck marks for pulling the plug on it with a f'cast of 70kts though. :shock:

hey KM, harden the f**k up. should make for some very umm.. 'exciting' sending on saturday :D

It's the 60fter sitting out on the mooring that generated the Farrkkkk. Mind you me one in the marina could cop a far bit from that wind angle as well. Double Farrrkkkkk.

And like Squid I am a part time grumpy dude and prone to pushing the odd boundry but I'll also knot be making fun of anyone deciding knot to sail in 70kts squalls. Having been in that before I can assure you Mr young dumb and full of ways to kill yourself JH, it's knot that much fun. The bloody rum ends up every fecking where and the Wa bitches like hell when she has to clean it up the next day ;)

Beside they are saying dropping to 40 on Saturday. And it is Metservice.......

Looking at Metvuw, I can't see where they are getting 70kts from. I can't see where they will get 50kts from actually.

I think the media are blowing this out of proportion with "the biggest storm". It is big in area it covers, not in intensity. Not saying ti ain't going to cause problems for the country, but the words being used on TV is rediculous.

Looking at Metvuw, I can't see where they are getting 70kts from. I can't see where they will get 50kts from actually.

I think the media are blowing this out of proportion with "the biggest storm". It is big in area it covers, not in intensity. Not saying ti ain't going to cause problems for the country, but the words being used on TV is rediculous.

The Metvuw predictions at 0600 Friday - high off the Aus Bight is 1040 and the low south of Bluff is 962. That is a bit of a pressure gradient so I guess that there will be some wind....

Well that is what the arrows actually tell you Anttay. The "feather" part of the arrow denotes the wind speed. A half a feather is 5 kts and full feather is 10 and so 5 full feathers woudl suggest 50kts. So for the 0600 Friday, Auckland has nothing more than about 10 to 15kts with probably 20kts over the water and taking account of gusts being about 10kts higher then a gust of 30kts is possible, but that would be an extreme.

Midday should see more like 20-25kts average

1800 Friday is when it will hot up a little. 40kts coming onto the West coast, with 25-30kts over Auck.

Saturday is looking like a solid 20-25kts with gusts to possibly 35.

Yea but for metvuw, you can pretty much ignore the one over akl. Its only accurate for NEers. Better ball park is first arrow either side of akl (crossing in wind direction) to get a feel for the disturbance.

And gusts will be to 150% of windspeed. I reckon 20 - 30 kts, with a few periods of sustained over 30.

So roughly the perfect forescast :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived