Great post Kme3

#12 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

OK, a couple of points. If you're using a swivel, then you should have a few links between it and the anchor to ensure that the swivel doesn't take side loads. They can easily fail if attached directly to the anchor. I know of several failures in this mode.
Splices. If you're using say a 10 mm short link, and your rode is a three strand, similar breaking strain to the chain, how can you get all three strands thru a single link?
As always, happy to be educated, or learn something new...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#13 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

If you have a sh*t swivel then yeap a few chain links can help disguise that. With so many selling swivels of questionable strength if in doubt use some links or simply put a shackle on the anchor and the swivel to that shackle, either way it allows the swivel to turn to match the biggest load. 

Swivel failures aren't common but aren't super uncommon either. But all are generally cheapies from the east packaged up looking flash and sexy. The strongest ones often look decidedly average as does their packaging, which is common with many products.

With 10mm's you generally match them to a 16mm or in some cases 20mm. Either 3 strand laid or 8 strand multiplait depending on who made the winch. Both size ropes will fit thru a 10mm short link fine. The 20mm is tight but far from not doable.The 16mm brezzes thru. But then we do more in a day than the rest of NZ combined so maybe it's just us having had so much practice. Damn, now I'm going to have to go and have a closer look :)

The 'breaking strength' of the chain and/or rope and/or splice will vary dramatically depending on what products they are and who does the splice. But a EU made chain will match, pretty damn close a EU made rope sized accordingly. Even asian made chain will match many asian made ropes just that pairings strength will be lower to considerably lower than the EU pairing.

#14 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Just awaiting 12mm 8 strand from you. Got 8mm chain from you awhile back-question will the rope fit thru the chain link? And not to do the long splice but usual eyesplice, right?

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Awaiting 12mm or do you mean 14mm?

Eye splice is a No. Many do those but they tend to jamb in the winches and cause issues. What scares us about eye splices is rope chafe, those do make that possible and it does happen. We do repair a reasonable amount due to soft eye chafe.

What you want to do is more of a back splice. I think I have a drawing somewhere, watch for a PM tomorrow .... prod me if I forget.

12mm will for thru 7mm easily, 6mm if you have technique.

14mm will 8mm chain

16mm will fit in 10mm chain easily, 20mm will but again she's tight.

20 in to 12mm easy peasy as is 24mm.

That is using most ropes. The odd one just won't, that is usually rope age related or when someone brings some in they brought from some other place, often it's the wrong formation and/or size for their requirements. Anchor warps for R2C's is one rope area we do refuse to splice on occasion. We get people who bring ropes they brought elsewhere in for splicing, which is perfectly fine, but when we know a specific one is going to go bad on them and once it does where the finger will be pointed...assuming they didn't lose the finger when it goes bad...as has happened to NZ boaters more then once. We have said 'Nope sorry' and explained why. By far most are fine and understand but the odd one goes feral.

#16 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Thanks KM, you've resolved my problem. I have a 3 strand rode that is twisting up something wicked. I didn't realise that it required a swivel. It's about 7 years old. Think i might have to biff it and get a better quality rode rather than from the swindelry.

#17 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Thanks KM, you've resolved my problem. I have a 3 strand rode that is twisting up something wicked. I didn't realise that it required a swivel. It's about 7 years old. Think i might have to biff it and get a better quality rode rather than from the swindelry.

Take it off, chuck it in a fishbin like container, fill with fresh COLD water and a good dollop of fabric softener. Leave to sit stirring occasionally. It can sit there for a day or 2 no worries. Then pull it out and lay the rope out to remove all twists. Replace on boat.

Many of the laid ropes being sold in NZ are purchased on price to be sold at maximum margin not for performance. Some of these cheapies can do weird stuff but with a little massaging they can be made better. I'm just thinking your rope may have gone off earlier but you've been living with it when the above tickle may put it back to a place it is happier where it may stay.

It could be worth giving it that loving. The odd rope does come out spectacularly well and goes on to be a trouble free legend for may years. But some come out OK for a wee while then go bad again and some just stay Aholes.

#18 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

Hi KM. Your 12mm 8 strand is here. What splice to use please?(Only have simple Nillson drum so no ch2rope jamming worries)

#19 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Km Is right with the strength of the rope to chain link v the eye splice I used to shudder looking at those three strands around that link , I just payes to keep an eye on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users