DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

http://www.radionz.c...es-liver-damage

"Natural" health supplements are often a bloody danger and need to be regulated under the drug and food laws. 

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#2 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

Wow - it can give you hepatitus!

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

110% agree. And there are many other supplements that the makers make claims for, that are simply not possible. Then there are the "natural" products, that the makers make comments about how their products are chemical free. Doh! Chemical free = a vacuum.
The TV advertising is full of crap and claims that are simply not possible.

#4 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Aw heck! You mean thee kryptonite I've been taking all these years is not really going to make me superhuman???
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#5 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Its a no-brainer, stuff = chemicals. Needs controls.

Supplements should have white paper back up independent clinical  trials at least.

But then they would be 10x price.

Buy your ticket, take  a chance.

That said, I'm taking a non pharmo l-dopa agonist cos my endo hasn't got back to me.

Sick of feeling like sh*t & i'm 98% thru my 3score+ 10.

Its Sure having an effect! On the up and up....literally.

Not that I was taking it for that...haha.

Supplement/herbal remedies equals multi billion $ industry in US.

#6 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Actually, it not only herbal and so called supplements that are being questioned.
In my final days as your friendly neighbourhood Ambulance man, we were part of a large survey into the use of oxygen for depressed o2 levels in patients, and also a smaller survey into the efficacy of glycerin trinitrate as a vaso dilator for cardiac related chest pain. Since part of our learning revolved around the use of these to stalwarts for certain medical conditions, it did come as something of a surprise when the evidence suggested that medical air was just as good as oxygen and GTN didn't really do all that much.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#7 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

You'd be surprised how many conventional medicines and prescription medicines will cause liver damage.

Go read the fine print on Nurofen.

Generally most medicines / medications have a positive effect to side effect ratio. Fairly much all medicines have a side effect of some sort. The classic is antibiotics completely destroying your healthy but flora.

Apparently Nurogen is regulated isn't it?

#8 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Side effects from mainstream medicines are well understood and if Nurofen caused damage like this in a cluster it would be pulled from the shelves to find out why. As it stands no damage occurs in typical therapeutic doses except for a 1.6 in 100,000 of cases when run at high doses for a long time.

The problem isolated here is this could be nothing to do with the main drug, Because there's no regulation the formula isn't known to anyone, There are no controls on batch testing or contamination prevention. You can mix up dirt into pills in your backyard and sell it as a supplement if you wanted to

#9 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

You'd be surprised how many conventional medicines and prescription medicines will cause liver damage.

Go read the fine print on Nurofen.

Generally most medicines / medications have a positive effect to side effect ratio. Fairly much all medicines have a side effect of some sort. The classic is antibiotics completely destroying your healthy but flora.

Apparently Nurogen is regulated isn't it?

Ibuprofen long term use eats the liver,DR gave me a months supply and the chemist said I would just take panadol,as less harm.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#10 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Its yet another kitchen sink concoction sold to the gullible, unregulated quackery much like chiropractic treatment and acupuncture etc etc etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users