• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#61 rjp

rjp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

Nothing is safe, salt is a poison and it will kill you large doses as will many other commonly used/consumed products including aspirin and alcohol. Approved means that a medicine has passed a series of tests to determine its indications and side effects. It does not mean that its harmless to everyone, but at least each product is known to have passed certain standards, the risks are known as well as the benefits.

The OP was about kitchen sink concoctions that the manufacturer makes unsubstantiated health claims for and the unknown risks of consuming it. In my view if someone packages something up and starts making claims then they need to back it up with evidence. The so called natural health market in NZ is a multi million dollar unregulated wild west scam fest as far as I am concerned. The rot has got in so deep that pharmacies sell homeopathics and doctors tout acupuncture.

Almost as important as all the pre-approval testing and knowledge is the ongoing post-market data gathering and reporting.  While unintended side-effects and potential problems can and do turn up they rapidly are reported to the regulators and decisions on restriction of future use and/or removal from the market can be made.  To me the unregulated use, sale and lack of knowledge on effects (positive as well as negative) is a big issue with supply of natural remedies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users