#1 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

Engine room ventilation that is.
Looking for ideas to provide adequate fresh air delivery to my engine compartment.

#2 BMW56

BMW56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

If you blow the engine room will be under slight pressure and fume laden air could be forced into the cabin via various fortuitous paths if there isn’t sufficient ventilation. On that basis it’s probably better to suck, then you can direct any fumes and odours safety outside.

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:38 AM

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a ventilation fan as a safety device to remove fumes/vapors only and it only gets used for that purpose, then you suck. You never want negative air pressure in the engine compartment. 
If you are wanting to provide extra air for the engine and aid cooling in the engine compartment and the fan will run often, then you blow.

#4 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

What wheels said, diesels hate insufficient air, the engine room should never have negative pressure.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Is this style of blower rated for continuous operation and how noisy are they.

If I am blowing fresh air into the compartment to feed the engine etc do I also need to extract as well. 

w87cR80.jpg

#6 BNG

BNG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Is this style of blower rated for continuous operation and how noisy are they.

If I am blowing fresh air into the compartment to feed the engine etc do I also need to extract as well. 

Just like your sails - Flow is Go Bro.

Yes - at the minimum needs to be well vented. If the ventilation ok it shouldnt need extraction as well as blower.

#7 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Its not so much the blower style but the motor rating for continuous operation.

I have fitted a blower to my engine box. I started with a cheapie axial blower from Burnsco, it was noisier than the engine...

General Marine Services do a range of blowers, Giavani, from Italy, centrifugal (like the one in your picture) rated for continuous operation, and have a rated noise output. I can confirm that they are quiet, and good blowers. Most blowers don't have a rated noise output, mainly cause they are very noisy.

Make sure you are sitting down when you get the price though.

#8 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

Sorry I spelt the company name wrong. this is the type of blower I've got, and is well suited to yacht engine ventilation:

https://www.giannesc.../en/product/524

The specification sheet has the noise outputs in dBa. It's on the website somewhere, or General Marine would be able to help you out.

These are good blowers, are designed for continuous operation in the marine environment, you will find the pricing substantially different to a plastic Chinese blower though.

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Suck don't blow, that's just a figure of speech and likely to make your ears pop.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#10 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

If you want to blow up, suck with a brush motor.

counting....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users