Following on from our freak out at the abysmal strength of some gear being sold to NZ boaters have some info.
There are mobs selling Stainless chain joining links in NZ. If you have one in your chain be nervous, very nervous.
SS CLINK.gif 33.46KB 3 downloads
We mystery shopped a set. We then put chinese made chain one side of them, Maggi chain the other. Put them in the test bed to see what loads we got.
The results -
numbers.gif 7.79KB 0 downloads
- Size sold as - what they are being called
- Actual size - what they really are. This isn't a big worry as you only have one, if you had a series it would be. The one being called 6mm is a 1/4" so is measures closer to NZ's 7mm than it's 6mm.
- Listed break loads - is what one major supplier says they will break at. This is clearly published and not hard to find so no excuse not to know what they are.
- Movement seen at - this is the load we saw the links changing shape. We were only eye balling and didn't have the fancy measurer in which I'm sure would have shown a lower load. This load is important as once the link changes shape too much it will jamb on your winch and then..... Ouch!!! By the rules links should not start to move until after 'Proof Load' which is 50% of the break load.
- Failed at - this is the load the links gave up at. Failed to the point you're now drifting onto ........
- Shitty chain loads - This is G20 chain. G20 is crap grade NZ hasn't seen until recently. Some is now being sold in NZ by people who obviously don't like or respect their punters..... or most likely have no idea what they ordered. Don't panic, most boats wouldn't have chain this weak on them.
- G30 Loads - This is what a lot of boats would have on them and what a good chinese made should get too and some do.
- AQUA4 Loads - This is Italian Maggi made chain loads.
As you can see these SS C Links are totally sh*t in all strengths and struggle to even match the shittiest of shitty chains let alone match anything good.
If you have one of these links in your system you're a knut job, get it the f**k out of it now.