11 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Following on from our freak out at the abysmal strength of some gear being sold to NZ boaters have some info.

There are mobs selling Stainless chain joining links in NZ. If you have one in your chain be nervous, very nervous.

Attached File  SS CLINK.gif   33.46KB   3 downloads

We mystery shopped a set. We then put chinese made chain one side of them, Maggi chain the other. Put them in the test bed to see what loads we got.

The results -

Attached File  numbers.gif   7.79KB   0 downloads

• Size sold as - what they are being called
  • Actual size - what they really are. This isn't a big worry as you only have one, if you had a series it would be. The one being called 6mm is a 1/4" so is measures closer to NZ's 7mm than it's 6mm.
  • Listed break loads -  is what one major supplier says they will break at. This is clearly published and not hard to find so no excuse not to know what they are.
  • Movement seen at - this is the load we saw the links changing shape. We were only eye balling and didn't have the fancy measurer in which I'm sure would have shown a lower load. This load is important as once the link changes shape too much it will jamb on your winch and then..... Ouch!!! By the rules links should not start to move until after 'Proof Load' which is 50% of the break load.
  • Failed at - this is the load the links gave up at. Failed to the point you're now drifting onto ........
  • Shitty chain loads - This is G20 chain. G20 is crap grade NZ hasn't seen until recently. Some is now being sold in NZ by people who obviously don't like or respect their punters..... or most likely have no idea what they ordered. Don't panic, most boats wouldn't have chain this weak on them.
  • G30 Loads - This is what a lot of boats would have on them and what a good chinese made should get too and some do.
  • AQUA4 Loads - This is Italian Maggi made chain loads.

As you can see these SS C Links are totally sh*t in all strengths and struggle to even match the shittiest of shitty chains let alone match anything good.

If you have one of these links in your system you're a knut job, get it the f**k out of it now.

#2 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:45 AM

KM,Where would the martyr chain links fit relative to these figures.?

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

Martyr is chinese made. It's sold in NZ by a few as Canadian.

As chinese goes it's one of the better ones but still suffers what they all tend to do from there, soft metals and longevity issues. A couple of bigger names in NZ sell it for more than you can buy far higher grade Italian made. The same mob also makes in china - anodes, rocnas, octopus steering and 'the most legendary of shackles' that are just the same as a excrement load of others. They are very very good at marketing, 'sell ice to Eskimos' as they say.

They also used chinas lack of IP protection to make a direct copy of the Spade anchor, which is what Pete wanted to in the first place but didn't want to breach Alians patent. It appears the canadians, who brought the rights, don't have the morels some others do. Bit sad to see rocna still claiming, totally incorrectly, they get copied when they themselves made the most direct copy of someone's elses IP than any other anchor I've ever seen. The funny part was they also copied Spades one big flaw....the dumbarses.

On a review of the numbers above I just realised I flattered the 6mm link by using 6mm chain numbers when the link was 7mm so I should have used that. But all that would have done was change was shows now as total crap to even more crappier.

#4 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Km  why are chain joiners S/S and not galv like the chain?would there be a corrosion/electrolysis over time issue?

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

Km  why are chain joiners S/S and not galv like the chain?would there be a corrosion/electrolysis over time issue?

The only links I'd use in my rode or yours or anyone's are Galvanised. I have yet to see a SS one I'd use even in Winstons.

That dissimilar metals many worry about is another myth. There are some specific situations where it would be a issue but not in your average anchor rode....unless you are anchored 24/7 for over a week continuously, then you may just see the HDG fizz off each side of the SS a bit quicker...but you'd need bloody good eyes.

I'd be more concerned, and are, about the punters being sold G50 316 anchor chain by one or 2 in NZ.....and further afield. When you have 316 of that high tensile it starts to dissolve in salt water once it hits 23 degrees. You can get stronger without that worry but it's not a 316. We have replaced two boat loads of G50, that was less than 2 years old and totally buggered, with a G60. Cost moonbeams, the owners were not amused. 

People seem to think SS is a wonder product....it an't.

#6 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,941 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

You are a wise man who speaks many truths KM!
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#7 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Why would you trust your anchor with these Just get the right length chain , the consept seems dodgy ,

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

There are 1000's in use as I write this. Most will cause no issues but some sure will.

Peter Blake went to the Antarctic with 6 of them in his anchor rode...... but then he's not the best to talk anchoring with, he did have so much of an aversion to it he often just kept sailing ;)

A good well made one is perfectly fine and I'd use one on my own boat no worries.

#9 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

Martyr is chinese made. It's sold in NZ by a few as Canadian.

As chinese goes it's one of the better ones but still suffers what they all tend to do from there, soft metals and longevity issues. A couple of bigger names in NZ sell it for more than you can buy far higher grade Italian made. The same mob also makes in china - anodes, rocnas, octopus steering and 'the most legendary of shackles' that are just the same as a excrement load of others. They are very very good at marketing, 'sell ice to Eskimos' as they say.

They also used chinas lack of IP protection to make a direct copy of the Spade anchor, which is what Pete wanted to in the first place but didn't want to breach Alians patent. It appears the canadians, who brought the rights, don't have the morels some others do. Bit sad to see rocna still claiming, totally incorrectly, they get copied when they themselves made the most direct copy of someone's elses IP than any other anchor I've ever seen. The funny part was they also copied Spades one big flaw....the dumbarses.

On a review of the numbers above I just realised I flattered the 6mm link by using 6mm chain numbers when the link was 7mm so I should have used that. But all that would have done was change was shows now as total crap to even more crappier.

I bought them off you a few years ago and used them last year when modifying my setup for the islands . Then , You told me the martyr links  were  stronger than  the chain itself , which was / is good quality Australian( that you were also happy with.)

So , the place of manufacture has changed since you were supplying them ? I presume like the anchor.?

What brand chain link should we carry as 'stock' on the boat now?

By the way , your claw type snubber hook ( I bought at the same time ) has been doing some great service over the last few years , done a lot of hours in a lot of wind , and we've perfected the technique of setting it from the deck as opposed to  leaning over the bow to hook it on. Very easy to unhook too , which I have found valuable in emergency ,get out of there quickly type situations.

Works really well.

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

That would be Crosby not Martyr links. We have never stocked Martyr and judging by the way that mob do business I doubt I ever would. Crosby were made in Canada, the real Canada, but now made in a brand new foundry just built in Texas.

Chain, you have Maggi ex Italy, PWB ex Aussie and everything else is Chinese. PWB is good but the most expensive at the moment. Maggi is the strongest by at least 33%, up to 50% compared to some chinese. Many burglars are selling chinese for the same coin as Maggi.

Good stuff on the snubber. Just don't forget they rope will be working so will lose it's elasticity over time and that's not good. So don't work on passing it on to your grandkids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users