14 replies to this topic

#1 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

hi, I normally berth on piles in Tamaki river, but have been offered a berth at Westhaven for a while, I need insurance,  I don't want to get a full survey done etc,  what are my options, feel free to ring me on 021 380 611 Peter

1982 Hans Christian 38 yacht

Looking for a eWof person as well

#2 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Tom Hutton

DDI: +64 9 974 1787 Office: 0800 89 85 85 Mobile: +64 27 548 6416 www.baileysinsurance.co.nz

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

I’d say your up sh*t creek. Trying to get insurance on a 38 year old boat without a survey is going to be hard if you’re not already with them for some time. I found that with Sundreamer, I was locked in to a company and to shop around needed a survey. No point

Still, try baileys

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#4 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Baileys were good to us and we didn't get a survey for cover. Our boat is (cough) , a bit older too.

#5 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

They probably just didn’t want multihulls :-)

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#6 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

We got our insurance for freedom through Nautical insurance.

We are a 1970's multi on a swing mooring with race cover. they were great with no survey required. they just wants pics of the boat and a statement that the boat was in good condition.  

Bryan Noonan

Nautical Insurance Limited

P.O. Box 3804 | 62 Riccarton Road | Riccarton | Christchurch,  8011
Ph: (03) 384-1694 | Mobile 021 482 653  | www.nautical.co.nz

#7 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Got ours with AMI, needed survey. Heres something to think about though, you are going on a 12 m berth which is about 7 to 800 bucks a month. If you are getting it a good rate i.e. free then a survey is no big deal and it’s probably a good idea to have insurance anyway.

#8 BMW56

BMW56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

I went with Youi.  1979 Spencer 28 on a swing mooring.  No need for a survey and the premium was quite affordable.  They were one of the few interested in insuring on a swing mooring, so I didn't have many choices.  Their only condition was that mooring inspections are kept up to date and done by an independent party (i.e. can't self certify).

I checked out the policy against one offered by State Insurance (who did require a survey and would have required them on an ongoing basis) and the terms and conditions were very similar. State's premium looked like it would be half as much again, but they wouldn't provide a formal quote without a survey. I've not needed to make claim, so can't comment on my experience in that respect.  My other comment is that Youi's salespeople are quite aggressive keen.

Edited by BMW56, 02 March 2018 - 03:10 PM.

#9 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

I did the online quote with youi and didn't even get to the end before they refused me. Just wanted a comparison With Baileys.

"Your risk profile falls outside our underwriting guidelines". Or some such. WTF?

Whoopy do. Their questions were pretty lame to be honest.

I was just curious.

Geez, I must be bored or something. I kept changing things until I found out what was bothering

the underwriter algorithym. It was my street address! Must be a bad neighbourhood.

Anyhow was 30% dearer than Baileys. :thumbdown:

$276 more to be exact.....obviously a bad risk.

#10 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Try the company you have as a household insurer.

Love the Westhaven mandatory $5 million third party requirement when I questioned the ludicrous amount the reply was that's our insurers advice.

Christ my 10m old woody would have to wipe out a few marina fingers to qualify that claim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users