27 replies to this topic

#11 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

I reckon its more likely the costs are around planning and consenting than actual installation.

It is easy for the Council to say the hydro-excavation was needed for "health & safety" cause no-one can argue with H&S, and it is imposed by others, not the Council.

It would be a bit of a PR dissater if the Council fessed up and said:

"we've created such unwieldy complicated planning rules and District Plans that is cost us (the people that wrote the documents) moonbeams and 100's of hours of Consultants time, including charging ourselves for assessing our own application, just to work out if we could install some $400 buck welcome signs around the place".

If they came out and said that, there would probably be a revolt. Its more likely that is where the cost is - but we'll divert and distract with the old H&S chestnut.

#12 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Yep it is silly stupid. It would be a great laugh if it wasn't so eye wateringly expensive. In this mornings local news, our rates are about to take a huge hike. We already pay a huge rate price.
Earthquake excuse. What a load of rubbish. We never had any signs fall over in the quake. And surely they know where cables under the ground are. They are supposed to be mapped.
Costs have become totally out of hand in all manner of things. Who can remember waaaay back in the days of the MOWorks. We all used to joke about the workers being so lazy. And we had a great joke of leaning against a shovel handle was training for being an MOW worker. Well now we are back to those days, except they are all ligit businesses that now pass on the cost of all those workers with an invoice. There are too many standing around doing nothing. Watchers watching the watchers.

#13 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

Spotted the other day

4 trucks (there may have been more), 1 digger

1 person holding traffic stop/go sign
1 person talking to stop/go person
4 people standing near hole without shovels
1 worker in hole with bucket removing water

#14 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Marlborough Council is second only to Auckland in squandering public money

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#15 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Spotted the other day

4 trucks (there may have been more), 1 digger

1 person holding traffic stop/go sign
1 person talking to stop/go person
4 people standing near hole without shovels
1 worker in hole with bucket removing water

I'll raise you on that - spotted on Great North Road, Avondale, Auckland some years back - 11, that is, eleven, high-vis, hard-hatted, clip-board holding numpties standing in a great arc watching 1, that is, one, man with a spade in a hole - wish I'd taken a picture however I was otherwise overly occupied with doing my own job at the time.

Phil, you must really love paying for the pretty lights on the Akl Coat-hanger  :twisted:

#16 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Phil, you must really love paying for the pretty lights on the Akl Coat-hanger  :twisted:

They've made the bridge look about as classy as a Hunters Corner hooker. I didn't even waste petrol going to look at them.

I'm not sure I pay the rates. I know I physically pay them but it indirectly comes from my tenants i guess...... too hard, just assume I no longer give a toss what Auckland Council spends it's money on :-)

#17 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure I pay the rates. I know I physically pay them but it indirectly comes from my tenants i guess...... too hard, just assume I no longer give a toss what Auckland Council spends it's money on :-)

TCDC ain't that much better though Puff.  Those C*&^s Don't Care...

A few years back they started putting up signs at the boat ramps (which they had zero input building back in the day), that they were going to start charging for parking, the ones at Whangapoua got cut down overnight 3 days in a row.

They gave up after that...

I'm happy I'm not paying them rates any longer.  (having said that I'm glad mum and dad still are...  ;-))

#18 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

A few years back they started putting up signs at the boat ramps (which they had zero input building back in the day), that they were going to start charging for parking, the ones at Whangapoua got cut down overnight 3 days in a row.

They gave up after that...

I'm happy I'm not paying them rates any longer.  (having said that I'm glad mum and dad still are...  ;-))

Yeah, same thing happened at Cooks Beach this year. I've been paying rates to TCDC since 2005. They have their faults but I look around our burg and see improvements every year.

#19 Dagwood

Dagwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

As I recall it, this was a number of initiatives the TCDC tried to implement around this time Result was the Mayor was given the boot at the next election, Glenn Leech got elected and brought a down to earth approach and seemed to have the balls required to make significant positive changes. As a result, I'm a reasonably happy TCDC ratepayer and would love to see what he could have done with Auckland which seems to continually spend money like a drunken sailor - present company exempted of course... 

#20 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Vector pays for them all, no cost to the ratepayers.

Tell ya though it's freaking freaky if you happen to be going over the bridge when they fire them up. I was last week and it was nearly a undie changing event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users