native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

I dont think it should be means tested.

But I do think the age should be near 80, not 65.

The people that have wealth will have paid one metric f*ckton of tax over the decades, so why shouldn't they get their bit when they get old?

The problem is fairness, Perhaps 80 is a bit tongue in cheek but in any case raising the age of eligibility is unfair to certain groups of people, usually the poorest. People who have engaged in manual labour for their entire work lives are more likely to have worn out and broken bodies and simply unable to work into the dotage. Certain groups of die earlier for example Maori and Pacifica people’s so is it fair that a person with a better genetic background should get a greater advantage through legislation?

As for tax, one of the wealthiest businessmen I know told me he does not resent paying tax because that means that he is making money. I would love to pay the most tax in New Zealand!

#22 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

The age of 65 was introduced in 1938.

If you were born 65 years prior(1873), the average life expectancy (medium mortality, Male) was 64 years.

If you were born in 1938, the average life expectancy (medium mortality, Male) was 72 years.

If you were born in 2016, the average life expectancy (medium mortality, Male) is 91 years.

So when introduced, it could be expected to cover the last -1 to 7 years? Now (well, in 90 years...) it needs to be 26 years? Perhaps my tongue in cheek 80 was not high enough, and it should be 85.....

#23 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

My grandad got his at 60, during the 1970's.

Try telling someone that they have to work until they die which is pretty much what your saying. The other solution is a superannuation scheme that you start paying into from day one of your career and then you can elect to retire at whatever age at the income level you feel suits you.

The govt puts in x for every dollar like the Aussies do, here we dont have a fund to speak off ( or so Ihave been told) it all comes out of this weeks tax take which really burdens the younger gen who btw dont own much in the way of appreciating assets like the old farts, with paying for some random old grannies hip/knee/back op which may only last a few years before she croaks. 

#24 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

Bring in UBI
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#25 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

The govt puts in x for every dollar like the Aussies do, here we dont have a fund to speak off ( or so Ihave been told) it all comes out of this weeks tax take which really burdens the younger gen who btw dont own much in the way of appreciating assets like the old farts, with paying for some random old grannies hip/knee/back op which may only last a few years before she croaks.

The government in Australia does not directly contribute a cent into peoples' superannuation funds. Before tax contributions up to a cap of $25,000p.a are taxed at a concessional rate of 15%, anything above that is at the persons marginal tax rate.

#26 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have always thought that If you choose to keep working full time in a reasonably well paid job past 65 that you should not be entitled to the pension until you stop working full time. When you retired there is the chance that someone else down the line can get off the dole. Aussie threshold for means testing starts around 200 k not counting the family home and by 1.2 mill you get nothing. Assets include everything you own clothes shoes boats etc.

#27 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

As for raising the age well as long as you don’t mind being dragged out of a burning house by an 80 year old firefighter. I am planning to retire before 65 because I know I’m not as good as I was when I was 40,and I want to do a few things while i still have the inclination.

#28 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Bring in UBI

:thumbup:

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Bring in UBI

NZ's Super is exactly that.

You can't set one age and say that's it these days. Pick a age and a $X then each year older make it $X + 1% sort of a thing. Those who want out early can, those who chose to hang around longer then can.

#30 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

As for raising the age well as long as you don’t mind being dragged out of a burning house by an 80 year old firefighter. I am planning to retire before 65 because I know I’m not as good as I was when I was 40,and I want to do a few things while i still have the inclination.

I'm with you on retiring before 65. Was it a Neil Young song that went it's better to burn out than it is to rot. Don't want to burn out too soon though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users