89 replies to this topic

#81 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

The inherent flaw in the LBP system is that experience or more importantly the lack of is not critical to becoming licensed.

Take plumbers for instance, a craftsman plumber does a apprenticeship and then is required to advance their skills by weight of time to a recognised level before they can hang their shingle out as a competent qualified craftsman.

I did a whole bunch of focus group touchy feely stuff regarding the LBP system design and nothing literally nothing about the present structure has improved the standard of the building skills required to produce quality durable value for money and healthy homes for the population.

Passed my professional builders eye over the latest million dollar dog boxes being wacked out by mainly unskilled immigrant contractors in Hobsonville and take my advice what is being built and sold there is just plain overpriced junk.

Durability and quality seems to once again become the missing link in new build housing stock.

#82 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

If you think Hobsonville is bad, have a drive through the Addison development near Takanini.

The build quality doesn't look too bad, from the outside at least, but I've noticed a few big cracks near windows etc, probably due to the instability of the land.

Possibly a good indication of the finished product, is the cleanliness of the site during construction. I can't recall how many times I've tripped on "ethnic minority" sites, it's quite a few. The kiwi run sites are, generally speaking and only in my opinion, far tidier, and much safer.

Not sure what building and construction really has to do with Super tho, unless you're in real estate

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#83 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

When I was involved with some big projects that the likes of Fletchers were building, they had their own on site "building inspectors" that signed off the work. Or if I say this another way, they did not use the Councils Building inspectors.
Does this work the same way when Fletchers are building Homes??

#84 Ex Babe

Ex Babe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

As for no unregistered can build. An owner builder can still build his own dwelling or do his own renovations. He only needs to apply for an owner builder exemption at the time of the building consent application.

While that is true it is not accurate.

A licensed building practitioner is only required for work defined in the Building Act as Restricted Building Work. Broadly RWB is defined as areas relating to structure and weathertightness of residential dwellings. Anybody can do building work that is not defined as restricted building work. So if the work does not involve structure or weathertightness to a house or the work is commercial an LPB is not required.

#85 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

This is fascinating. As a rea with a passing knowledge of building we've been saying stuff like this in private for a while.
Recently showing an elderly woman a new build she tried to open a kitchen cupboard above her head. It fell off the wall and nearly brained her. No sale.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#86 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

The most common worksite structure is for a LBP to manage a group of chippies qualified or not undertaking all manner of building works.
If you are a LBP and working on any site doing RBW you are required by law to provide a ROW.
The latest news that building sites visited by building control officials highlighted the reality that most sites lack a LBP and do not hold consented plans onsite reflects poorly on compliance responsibility.
You are correct Madyottie regarding the issue of site cleanliness.
My recent after hours wander through Hobsonville was a sad and quite frankly depressing experience highlighting the fact that building standards and material quality and use of is still very much in the dark ages.
Remember it was not that long ago that major building industry groups lobbied Government to change the timber treatment methodology so they could get their products to market quicker and at less cost to them.
What a raging success that turned out to be.
The quality of the lumber that is supplied to the local market is poor and shortages of tree stocks and the export market have hammered home weaknesses in the supply chain that will take years to remedy.
Hardee’s sits on vast stocks of products that met market resistance after the leaky home fiasco that in my opinion is still alive and thriving.
RAB sheet products are a example.

Rigid Air Barrier is just Hardibacker in a marketing disguise.

Completely unnecessary but specified frequently.

Shadowclad a exterior grade sheet cladding panel Carters product extensively used  is as durable as Weetbix.

The other alarming thing about group build new housing stock is the shocking size of the designs and the exorbitant cost to market. 

Yah see it's all about the buck and bucking the responsibility to build durable affordable competently designed and constructed liveable homes.

#87 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Tokoroa Teak.

200 x 50 H1SG8

This lumber is going into your houses.

https://youtu.be/vx-ssfnNduU

#88 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

wouldn't even use that in packing lumber

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#89 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

I was in Hobbie last week and see the 1st area they build, which was pumped hard by government, council and everyone else, looked good ....... until they had finished and moved on to the next area. It already looks a lot older than it is, that doesn't bode well.

#90 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

While that is true it is not accurate.

A licensed building practitioner is only required for work defined in the Building Act as Restricted Building Work. Broadly RWB is defined as areas relating to structure and weathertightness of residential dwellings. Anybody can do building work that is not defined as restricted building work. So if the work does not involve structure or weathertightness to a house or the work is commercial an LPB is not required.

You are correct EB, it's just that i didn't want to bore everyone with clause by clause quotes from the building act.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users