67 replies to this topic

#11 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:14 AM

As a touring, commuting, exercising and full time bike user I feel entitled to say that very often the 'holier than thou attitude of many cyclists who feel entitled to fully occupy a lane pisses me right off. Wife and I always ride single file and we keep as far to the left as possible so as not to impede traffic. We have noticed over the last year or two a huge improvement in the consideration that motorists extend to cyclists in terms of safely sharing the road and it's a great pity that some cyclists do not feel inclined to reciprocate.

Not sure about many Chris but other than that I agree.  But at the end of the day they're people, and people are idiots whether they happen to be on bikes, in cars/boats and probably planes as well.  

But then I wonder why lots of people riding take main roads when there is a much quieter side ride not far away, or they ride in bunches on the likes of Scenic Drive in the Waitaks or through the middle of the city. 

Many moons ago when I started riding I did a bunch that rode from the city out around the airport and was amazed no one was killed, I assume they'd been riding like that long before I turned it.  Never been back since.  

But I also wonder why the guy in the marine industry 4WD tried to overtake me half way through a one lane roundabout that went into an even narrower one lane exit as I rode home the other day, and then parked up at the red light 100m up the road where I caught up to him 20 seconds later, was thinking.  He was quite reasonable when I explained how that kind of manoeuvre makes me wonder whether I'm going to make it home to see my kids.   

Unfortunately I pretty much expect one of those kind of moments most days I'm on my bike, more if it's full moon (no I'm not joking).

Like you say, a little courtesy goes a long way.  

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Like you say, a little courtesy goes a long way.  

Exactly and the average NZ driver has f*ck all of it.

The 'Drive like a Asian' slur is wrong, their driving is good, NZers are the crap drivers.

Asians drive with respect and awareness of their fellow drivers knowing they all have to share the same road, while NZers are always in a race, have to be at the front and regard many roads as race tracks.

On my bike I am finding the NZ driver is training me to show no mercy, ignore the rules and just go for it. Playing by the rules is more likely to get me killed. It's getting to be more wild west ......I was going to say each year but things are changing so fast I'm almost wanting to say 'each month', out there. Weird and don't really know why but the change over the last few years has been very noticeable and pretty quick.

As for ARSEHOLES pissing with their phones while driving, I hope every one who does rots to a slow death with syphilis. Stats in Aussie and the US now show more people now die on the roads due to cellphones than alcohol. I have little doubt NZ would be much different.

Yes sadly Chris, some of your fellow pushbikers are dumbarses, just as to many of my fellow motorised versions are. But they would still number less than useless 4 wheelers.

#13 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,107 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Hmm, I don't agree KM.
Yep, NZ has some bad drivers/motorcycle riders/cyclists. But far and away the worst driving ive ever seen was in SE Asia, in Ambon, where they have more road deaths every month than NZ has in a year.
However, the worst on record is Malawi, averaging about 35 deaths per 100,000 people P.A (NZ average has been about 8 ) And there are not many vehicles!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#14 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

My wife has just arrived back from a few days in Island bay  , wellington. The place butchered by psychopath roadmarkers creating cycle lanes inside the parked cars.

" Hows escher on't sea" I asked.

She tells me they're changing it.

#15 twisty

twisty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

You obviously haven't driven up Carlton Gore rd lately Johnnnyy

#16 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Naw , but I remember when the psycho roadmarker went up Campbell road and painted dotted yellow lines outside all the parking bays.

Mucho confusion in the burbs.

#17 Dagwood

Dagwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

The 'Drive like a Asian' slur is wrong, their driving is good, 

With all due respect and it's probably not PC but I say - bollocks. Want to take a trip with me around my home patch of Howick at some stage? Couple of roundabouts and a few kms on busy roads and I think your view might be different.

I encounter low levels of aggression but a scary number with a complete lack of situational awareness on a daily basis. 

#18 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hmm, I don't agree KM.

Yep, NZ has some bad drivers/motorcycle riders/cyclists. But far and away the worst driving ive ever seen was in SE Asia, in Ambon, where they have more road deaths every month than NZ has in a year.

However, the worst on record is Malawi, averaging about 35 deaths per 100,000 people P.A (NZ average has been about :cool:  And there are not many vehicles!

Haven't been there so don't know but from what I have experienced I have no issue saying NZ drivers scare me the most.... and they are getting scarier by the week.

psychopath roadmarkers

Love the description.

#19 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Yeah , we know the real culprit sits in a room don't we , discussing what havoc to wreak this week over a latte.

But there's more forms of pollution than air and noise. Destroying the appearance of  an community or other environment is just as irresponsible as dumping bags of plastic in the sea.

Akl Transports answer to any problem or perceived problem is to send out the tripping roadmarker. Witness Beaumont street and the visual tragedy of  the psycho let loose on the footpath last year. What a F*&^%$#@ mess.

#20 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Isn't that a cycle lane on the footpath?

no its a shitty, bumpy piece of tarmac that you can barely walk along without tripping on, let alone ride at 20kph.  Having ridden it I assume you know that already!

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users