#21 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

I encounter low levels of aggression but a scary number with a complete lack of situational awareness on a daily basis. 

yup - that's my experience out our way as well.  I get honked at from behind when I'm in my car driving behind a cyclist passing parked cars along Kepa road - all because they think that the double yellow line is just there for decoration.  Or middle aged Remuera tractor drivers who really struggle with the notion of using the brake when pasing a cyclist (me) round a bend with parked cars on it.  Or middle aged self entitled sports car drivers who think nothing of cutting you up entering a round about because there's at least a 2/3 car length available to turn left without knocking your front wheel "too much".  I could go on but now I'm getting angry thinking about just how angsty a lot of drivers are on our roads.

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#22 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

I sympathize, but it must be an Auckland thing.
We are finding down here in the coromandel waikato area that drivers are increasingly happy to stay behind until such time that they can pass by doing so on the other side of the road. We do a lot of kms a week and I honestly can't remember the last time I wanted to use a rude word to a passing motorist.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#23 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

I sympathize, but it must be an Auckland thing.

It is.

There is a very definite line across the top of the Bombays. When I go down to Welly for example I find I'm cheating death from Taka to the Bombays then after that the drivers become so much more considerate and predictable. All the way to Welly and around Welly and all the way back is the same. But the moment you cross the Bombays heading north again it's all on.

It's freaky how defined the line is and talking to other 2 wheelers they all say the same thing.

NOTE: I do exclude males around 45-60yo driving double cab utes, they are arseholes on any NZ road. Middle of the desert road on my bike on a Tuesday morning doing cough cough kph over 100 and not a soul in site ..... bar some tosser in a BT50 500mm off my tail light. WTF dude???? But that's only one of many examples.

#24 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Just be thankful you are not in the US. All those utes would have gun racks.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#25 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Just be thankful you are not in the US. All those utes would have gun racks.

At least those with guns are honest and aware they can kill, unlike the masses of NZ mindless pantystains with cell phones.

#26 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

When someone is pointing a gun at you you are not thinking about their honesty, more their mental stability.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#27 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

I have lived in some cities with great cycleways.  I mountain bike so I am not on the roads very often in Auckland.  I do ride some of the city ones occasionally in weekends.

The problem I have with what is being done by AT is that although they clearly have plan it is very piecemeal.  For example I have ridden the awesome cycleways in Washington DC.  They consist of old railway paths, wide shared footpaths etc.  Generally but not always using parts of parks.  I contrast that with the section AT put down Carlton Gore Rd.  They built it on the opposite side of the road from the Domain.  I look at it often and think WTF.  Again go up through the area in Grey Lynn where they are weaving the path on and off the road, behind bus shelters etc.  taking out car parks.  Then a couple of blocks over they have the nice path winding through the Grey Lynn park through to Cox's Bay.  Why not make that the primary path, widen it further, make it more of a shared track etc.

The cycleways in Washington in the morning and evening are like motorways but people all use bells to signal overtaking or the constant call of on your left etc.

I motorcycle everyday in Central Auckland and have ridden motorcycles for 34 of the last 39 years.  Unlike KM I almost no issues with car drivers.  Yes some are blind, but that is what defensive driving is for.  Admittedly I am not going very far and I am riding a large Triumph sports tourer.  The biggest issue I have is with the other idiot motorcyclist and scooter riders in shorts an tee shirts.  They have clearly never experienced how quickly asphalt removes your skin.  I learnt that the hard way 30+ years ago.

#28 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

When someone is pointing a gun at you you are not thinking about their honesty, more their mental stability.

No different than cellphones, worse probably as most people with them don't realise they are often a mm or 2 from becoming a murder.

It won't be long before big action will be taken against cellphs in cars in some form. The death toll from them is rocketing big time upwards in the US and lawyers have seen the potential.

The biggest issue I have is with the other idiot motorcyclist and scooter riders in shorts an tee shirts.  They have clearly never experienced how quickly asphalt removes your skin.  I learnt that the hard way 30+ years ago.

Oh hell yes. You see some 300-500cc scream past with singlet, shorts and jandels. Look at the back and yeap an L plate.

But they are safe as houses as they have a protective force field they active by turning their hazards lights on. Just like the force field mums have when they put a 'Baby on Board' sign in the back window of their car :roll:

#29 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Just like the force field mums have when they put a 'Baby on Board' sign in the back window of their car :roll:

There is a 50 page thread on its own!

I was thinking on the way in this morning the scariest ride I've ever done was the one where I came past a school about 8.45am, bloody Volvo XC's and Q7's everywhere with mummy dropping little Tarquin and Matilda off desperately trying to find a park outside, I swear if a train rolled through and a park opened up over the road they'd miss seeing the train.  You could see the stress and desperation in their eyes.

Made sure I only made that mistake once.

#30 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

There is a 50 page thread on its own!

I was thinking on the way in this morning the scariest ride I've ever done was the one where I came past a school about 8.45am, bloody Volvo XC's and Q7's everywhere with mummy dropping little Tarquin and Matilda off desperately trying to find a park outside, I swear if a train rolled through and a park opened up over the road they'd miss seeing the train.  You could see the stress and desperation in their eyes.

Made sure I only made that mistake once.

Ok, blatant thread drift, but this is why we are buying a canal boat. As much as we think we will enjoy the French waterways the boat is to provide accommodation a little bit more upmarket than our doormat sized tent and also to act as a base for our cycling tours in the surrounding countryside.
And as for cycling in France, Muzled's experience just doesnt happen there. I dont have blinkers on and know that some bad stuff happens over there, pretty well exclusively in the big cities, but I think the French have their life balance well and truly sorted. Two hours for lunch, and buy what you need during the week because everything is closed up tight on weekends. And once you get used to it you begin to see and enjoy the benefits that a more relaxed lifestyle brings - people feel that they have time to savour the better things in life which is not driving like lunatics because they're late for whatever whilst at the same time screaming into a cellphone and arguing with the wife in the passenger seat, and that all goes towards making cycling a truly pleasurable experience which i will qualify by saying that we bike through the countryside, villages, provincial towns but not big cities. I think we could learn a thing or two from them.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users