67 replies to this topic

#51 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

The council hits back at hoskings accusing him of using 2026 projections in 2018. So does that mean the council projects the mega million, approaching 1 billion dollars worth, cycleways will have only 3000 users a day in 8 years time, up from 1300 odd today? WTF, where's any value in that for the poor ratepayer?

Where did you see that they're spending a billion odd dollars on cycleways KM?

That seems like an outrageously high number even for the most fervent of bike fans.

#52 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:02 AM

You like that figure? He can pull plenty more like that out anytime :)

#53 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

You like that figure? He can pull plenty more like that out anytime :)

Seems high but I was more wondering if it'd been put out there by At or Council as an amount they actually plan to spend.

Skypath is the big ticket item and that's $50M?  That leaves a lot of money to spend elsewhere.

I know not everyone is convinced but what will really make a difference to the bike paths is when they connect to each other.

The northwestern bike path is good but for years it dropped you on the outskirts of the central city, for a lot of people that was like being dropped into a car frenzied hell hole so it probably gets a fraction of the use it would if it connected to Grafton gully and the light path like it kinda does now.

They're currently doing a 'separation' thing on a 500m or so stretch of Don McKinnon drive which feeds off the end of the NW bike path up to the top of upper Queen St, the cars lost one lane and the bikes gained one, riding up there about 4pm each day it doesn't seem to have caused carmageddon yet.  Might be different at 8am?  But from there you have a couple of options of staying separated from traffic.  

Personally I think it'll be like taking the smokers out of bars, we'll look back a few years after they're completed and think 'why didn't we do this 50 years ago'.

#54 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

https://thespinoff.c...-the-top-table/

#55 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

So they lied.

Did you read this Puff?

https://thespinoff.c...ycling-numbers/

So, just to be absolutely clear, when Orsman says ‘The business case for Nelson St predicted 986 cyclists would use the cycleway daily, but in January [2017] the count was 333’, it’s comparing last year’s apples with oranges from 2026?

Correct. Also, mini-apples, because January is still the summer holidays, always a slow time of year. The Nelson St cycleway is a fun example because it was started in late 2015 but not completed until mid-2017. Until then, it ground to a halt at Victoria St, which meant riders went from this… (pics are in the link)

No wonder the numbers weren’t huge to start with. So how’s Nelson St looking now it’s connected?

Last October, it saw an average 380 trips a day, and this October it leapt to 505 trips a day. At this steady clip, it will hit the predicted 986 trips per day by the end of 2020. Probably even sooner, given the new Ian McKinnon Drive cycleway opening at the end of November, and a proper connection through to the Viaduct, and the Cook St and Victoria St cycleways to come.

#56 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

I used to drive down Nelson St every day... it would be 10000 times more efficient to have cars driving down the lane that was handed over to bikes.

West Lynn is also my hood.... what an absolute disgrace. They should all lose their jobs..and 35mil to fix? 35 mil?? someone is taking the piss

Flame away

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#57 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

west lynn is massive f*ckup for sure

#58 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

Where did you see that they're spending a billion odd dollars on cycleways KM?

That seems like an outrageously high number even for the most fervent of bike fans.

Yes 'Outrageously high' is another name for Council, it derives from the word 'incompetent'.

Mr Campbell-Reid is 'Auckland Council's design champion' and said in response to Hosking's comments the other day (yesterday????) -

Campbell-Reid said the council wasn't building the cycleways because they wanted to, but because locals were telling them too.

"In Auckland, 38 per cent of us cycle ... So, we're building $900 million of cycleways across Auckland's region," he said.

I'd believe that number. We have been told (infested with blatant self-serving propaganda, would be a bit more accurate) about the new cycle lanes between Devo and Taka. It's going to be paved with gold......or so you'd thing for the $8350 to $9150 PER METRE they are saying they will be spending............ to replace the already existing 3 cycle lanes, one of which has a painted line that cost the ratepayers a sum over $85 per metre. Probably double that now I think about it, the line is not continuous.

#59 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

I used to drive down Nelson St every day... it would be 10000 times more efficient to have cars driving down the lane that was handed over to bikes.

West Lynn is also my hood.... what an absolute disgrace. They should all lose their jobs..and 35mil to fix? 35 mil?? someone is taking the piss

Flame away

No flaming required, one might question your math(s) though... ;-)  one lane can't carry an extra 3.3M vehicles per day.  10,000 x 333 bikes a day = wildly optimistic in anyones book. 

But for sure it'd carry more than 333 by cycles, but what if there were no bike lanes, no public transport and everyone drove a car everywhere, all the time.  Can't just have roads and nothin' else.

I think there is very little argument around West Lynn, summed up succinctly by yourself and clipper.

#60 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:10 PM

West Lynn, when we lived there it was slightly downmarket and fashionably scummy, I blame gentrification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users