10 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

I know bugger all about this but if the Marine Industry Association are sparked up maybe there is something in it. It's unusual for them to send out emails like this.

Submission on proposed plan changes 18-19 Lake Pukaki, Canterbury - Submissions close tomorrow!

We have just been advised that the Mackenzie District Council is currently undertaking some changes to its District Plan and are proposing to ban trailer power boating on Lake Pukaki.

We are concerned that the MacKenzie District Council has not advised of this proposed plan change given the importance that lakes and waterways are to the New Zealand economy and well-being of all New Zealanders - we were made aware of this proposed plan change only yesterday through one of our members, a Christchurch based boat building company.

A substantial part of the marine industry is based in the South Island, particularly in regards to trailer powerboat design and manufacture. This, in turn, is providing employment including providing a career pathway for many school leavers with apprenticeships in boat building and related trades. Without the local customer base of South Islanders using their trailer power boats in Central and Southern lakes of the South Island, this would reduce the employment in this sector.

Our submission is AGAINST the plan to prohibit trailer power boats on Lake Pukaki.

Please note that submissions close TOMORROW Friday 9 March.

We encourage members to make their own submission against the plan and attach below our submission which you may wish to copy/adapt for your use:

NZ Marine submission

Download submission template -
http://www.mackenzie....ashx?ID=142126

Send submissions to:  planning@mackenzie.govt.nz

For more information:   www.mackenzie.govt.nz

#2 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

That is a big deal, banning trailer power boats from a South Island lake. Whilst I'm not a fizz boater, the number of people that access water and derive substantial enjoyment from fizz boats, especially on nice sheltered inland lakes, is absolutely massive.

More so, and what the association is on about, there is a lot of business in building, selling and maintaining those boats.

Banning fizz boats, even on one lake, is a massive call for a District Council.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

I followed the links to see what it is all about.... or tried too.

I think I've find is a LOT faster and a LOT easier to build a Airbus A380 in my bathroom than find out WTF the MDC are planning and why. Unbelievable.

Anyone out there speak 'bureaucratic bullshit' and can tell me why the MDC wants to ban boats?

#4 Adrianp

Adrianp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Read the document called "Plan Change 19 Final Version" on this page http://www.mackenzie...rict_plan.aspx 

It's the proposed plan change document.

I think the proposed wording would stop people staying overnight on non-motorized tailer-sailers too as it prohibits "Craft on the surface of waterways used for accommodation".

Formally Freeeeeeeeeedom but we've got our new boat - Lady Nada - https://sailingladyn...wordpress.com/ 

#5 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

or this 

http://www.mackenzie....ashx?ID=150116

Essentially MDC consulted with as many groups as they could find who clearly don't want noisey, smelly stinkpots on Pukaki and no other groups that might use motor boats on the lake.  Sounds like there's also a hovercraft that's been pissing people off!

The groups that were consulted are

Pukaki Quiet Zone Supporters;  Aoraki Environmental Consultancy (Arowhenua);  Pukaki Tourism Holdings;  Forest and Bird (Nelson Branch);  Environment Canterbury;  Genesis Energy;  H2Explore;  Fish and Game; and 2  Department of Conservation.

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#6 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Weird. I have never seen any boats on Pukaki. Not one ever. Have things changed?? I don't even know of a Ramp. It is so exposed to wind and the Wind can absolutely howl down that Lake. Tekapo and Benmore are very popular. Although Tekapo is absolutely freezing even in the middle of Summer.
Also, who is around Pukaki to have a group called Pukaki Quiet Zone Supporters??

#7 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Wheels is right. I’ve spent a substantial amount of time down there, mainly on Benmore and NEVER seen a boat on Pukaki. There are much nicer lakes to spend time on. The noisiest thing on Pukaki would be the shutters from the bus loads of tourists.

#8 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Cycled down the lake last year doing the Alps to Ocean ride.  Noisiest thing we came across was the helicopter that transported us to the start of the ride on the other side of the Tasman river.  ;-)

I don't recall seeing any boats that day, but it was not really boating weather.  I don't recall seeing many houses or people either who would even be affected by a boat.  It is not exactly highly populated and the lake is pretty bloody big.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

Hmmmm..... if no power boats use the lake anyway then I wonder what the NZM is wound up about?

#10 Tazzy Devil

Tazzy Devil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hmmmm..... if no power boats use the lake anyway then I wonder what the NZM is wound up about?

Thin end of the wedge maybe?

Some crazy bird lady (and she is certifiable) and her band of moronic followers spent several summers assaulting kite surfers on the local estuaries and was eventually rewarded by having kiting banned from those spots by the idiots at NRC.

This is despite loads of evidence that dotterels don't give a sh*t about kites. 

Most kiters probably assumed commonsense would prevail (it didn't)

Maybe they are worried that if Pukaki is made off limits then other lakes may follow?

I used to spend bit of time up there, never saw a boat on Pukaki ever. This is quite possibility a battle over principles rather than actual impacts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users