A long shot

Guest 000

Actually, a very long shot...

I need access to a 40 foot motorboat in Gulf Harbour on 4th April from 1000-1200hrs.

I need, with the owner and examiner on board, to take the boat off the berth, do a circuit of the bay and put it back on the berth. Obviously, the owner retains overall command of the vessel. I need to do this as part of my International Certificate of Competency.

I don't mind too much what it would cost me so long as it's a bit less than the $800 the charter people want.

Unfortunately not. My no.1 son has a 42 foot yacht. An ICC test for inland waterways can only be done in a motorboat. The boat we buy will be on the Dutch B register.

Per definition, a sailing vessel under power is a power vessel and therefore a motorboat. I’d gorse the point, but I’m more idealistic than others. Hope it works out.

We’ll likely also register in NL...

Now then doc, do I understand that you are also about to embark on frittering away your time on the French canals?

My wife is a Dutch national/speaker and also the world's greatest researcher and had become a veritable mine of information on the subject of canal boating, if she can be of any help..

Chris, I can likely source a boat for you. Couple of options. Gulf Harbour. Want me to book one?

Not terribly computer literate, but I think I sent you a PM.

Now then doc, do I understand that you are also about to embark on frittering away your time on the French canals?

My wife is a Dutch national/speaker and also the world's greatest researcher and had become a veritable mine of information on the subject of canal boating, if she can be of any help..

Thanks for the offer, we'll register in NL or BE as we don't then need a license for a boat under 20m, but will of course still need an ICC and CEVNI. Is there a distinction between using a yacht under power on the canals and using a "motorboat"?

No, because a yacht under power is no longer a yacht. I was a CEVNI examiner for a while in Nl/De, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure the only exemptions were sailing dinghies and kayaks and the like.

That was my understanding exactly. So one should be able to do the test in the yacht under power...

Dan, am I right that to use inland waterways (excluding Bodensee/lake Constance) you need the required certification of your flag country, + CEVNI? With an ICC being an additional extra?  CEVNI can be done online now I think.

Under the RYA system if you have an ICC Assessment for Sail, you will automatically be endorsed for power up to 10m.  For power over 10m you will have to do the assessment on a power vessel over 10m (a yacht over 10m under power won't be accepted due to the definitions). 

True, here in NZ as well.

My no.1 son has a 42 foot yacht which at the present time has the rig removed for refurbishment. He has used it all this summer as a motorboat. My proposal to Coastguard who manage the tests on behalf of the RYA that without a spar his boat was by definition a power driven vessel and could therefore be used to for the test was not accepted.