Fizz Nasty cuts a boat (almost) in half, carries on.

Something fishy here.

The hole is rather uniform for having had an alloy boat go right over this boat, there is no damage on the other side. The bulwarks haven't pulled away around where the hole is, and the damage appears to be fairly isolated.

Further, the cockpit already has holes all over it. Clearly not a 'seaworthy' boat in the first place. I've no problem with that, the guy paid $600 for it, is living aboard and is saving $400 / week in rent.

I could be wrong and this could be just bad luck. Apparently someone fell out of the offending boat and they needed to be picked up. A launch came to assist so maybe witnessed the incident.

It would be more plausible the alloy boat ran into the side of it, did the damage and bounced off on the same side. Perfectly understandable to get confused with shock, esp when sitting downstairs and its dark outside. But the story says the boat flew straight over the top, damaging the main boom.

Possibly also classic poor journalism, adding in some sensationalist aspects that confuse what actually happened.

Looking at the picture it might have hit at a tight angle taking off the side of the companionway, slid along the cockpit collecting the mainsheet and traveller then exited over the transom... maybe?

The guy is certainly perfectly clear as to what happened in the video. I'm putting my confusion down to poor journalism.

And yes, now you mention it, the holes in the deck are most likely the traveller getting ripped out, there is no boom in the photos, and according to the guy this boat went straight over the top of them and took out his boom.

Sounds like they were very lucky they weren't seriously injured, or killed. The incident did put one of the guys in the other boat into the water. If they were doing near 30 knts, there is a good chance they have some injuries as well.

Certainly warrants a proper Police / Harbour Master investigation.

It seems the Herald is slipping in its journalistic standards - there is no mention at all in the article if anyone involved was wearing lifejackets.

Hah!

not often there is a boating story without the mention of life jackets.

I don't ever look at or read the Herald now, accept when you guys post links to stories. I find its better to read a horoscope than try and get any facts from that so called news outlet. I would venture to say that even Whale Oil has more facts than the Herald, at least your expectations aren't high when you read Whale Oil.

"It seems the Herald is slipping in its journalistic standards"

Been slipping for years and agree with Fish.

​Poor journalism floods the mainstream media and as for standards they are well gone.

You can see why the roll out of a paywall for Granny Herald never eventuated as no one is seriously going to pay for that crap.

​I read it by way of habit I suppose as part of my morning victuals but sure miss having my Fush n Chups all wrapped up nice and snuggly hot.

damn the bastards responsible for this should be locked up and the key thrown away.  But sadly we know that even if our (allegded) law enforcement officers do anything at all about it the offenders will get a stern talking to and walk away scot free.  Damn launchies

You'd expect the prop to at least shear the shear pin thingee, or damage the blades, wouldn't you?

How strong are those stainless props now? I know they are designed to not deflect with powerful engines, but I wouldn't expect to be able to run one through the side of a boat without damage?

Interesting comments that it could have been caused by the leg and prop - I would have thought that an Aluminium hull hitting that at speed would have cut a hole before the leg or prop got anywhere near it???

Interesting comments that it could have been caused by the leg and prop - I would have thought that an Aluminium hull hitting that at speed would have cut a hole before the leg or prop got anywhere near it???

That's my thought on it as well, I think the boat hit the yacht and was airborne and cleared the decks and laded on the other side.

It will have damage for sure. on the front. 

Agree these idiots were likely airborne in pretty short order. I would expect obvious damage to the offenders bow, some to the vessels bottom and possibly the outboard.

That said if it was a well built tinnie hitting anything ply at speed  it may have left a few scratches.

We could hope the offenders had a Stainless prop because they are strong,  however the downside to a stainless prop is if it hits something it usually causes drive train damage which will cost  whereas an alloy prop takes the brunt of the impact and typically damage is limited to just  the prop and shear pin.

If I was the law down there I would be putting all outboard repairers on notice to report any damage consistent with this sort of event.

This happened near our Club in October - 30' Fizz vs. dingy (18' foot Thistle) 

Clear day, Thistle had sails up. 

Amazing that on one was badly hurt.  

Law enforcement was there, but seemed to have little interest in a prosecution . . 

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22491571_1725236277488080_3227210760022554604_n.jpg?oh=b49364903c8ac2c449505d6e46c4074f&oe=5B409C0D

C'mon guys. Use your heads. You are under or over thinking it. It will obviously be a combination of damage from the PB's Hull and leg. The Bow would have smashed into the yachts side and broken it, but the leg would have followed. The PB was at full speed by the description from the Sailboats skipper. The PB's Hull would not be airbourne till after it left the boat below it. Otherwise the PB would have backflipped.
It takes a hell of a lot to share the Pin on a large outboard. Do large outboards even have one? Remember large PB's can have some really big outboards. And yes there may well be damage to it's prop, but that likely will not stop it completely, which in this case is obvious it didn't.