Mobile prop speed applicators

Apparently you can buy the stuff to do it yourself. Rather than pay the $2-300 for a prop speed applicator to come along, prepare things, paint on 2 coats of the etch primer and then a coat of the silicon based stuff that stops greeblies from sticking on your prop, for about $150 you can buy the etch and top coat and do it yourself.

Of course, I was only told this after I'd already got the prop speed guy in to do the job and while people were helpful enough to tell me that I'd just wasted $150 nobody could actually tell me what this stuff is or where you get it so you can do it yourself. :roll: :problem:

So .... not very helpful I'm afraid. Sorry.

Won't drive 5min to you? You have to be kidding. Wow, obviously too much work.

Yeah wheels, the guy I spoke to was quite unhelpful, very surprising in todays day and age. Oh well, I'm more than happy to do it myself, just can't find where to buy the stuff to start with.

I sent an email to my mate about the stuff. I haven't heard back yet, but seeing as the day is just plain awefull here, he may have had the day off instead of trying to work in this stuff. If i don't get a reply, I will phone him.

It is Peller clean. I have used it and it works. It costs about $150 which gives you enough to do about a sq metre of prop or about 5 usual ones. From rough memory there are five bottles. Two are mixed to provide 2 coats of presumably resin with drying in between. Then a coat of the active stuff then a coat of protectant. Anyway 4 coats in all with drying time in between.

The instructions are very specific and require careful reading. A problem is that they are written as if one was making up the full amount eg add half a bottle of A to half a bottle of B. In fact one needs some precise measuring system like a few eyedroppers, because the quantities are quite small for a normal prop.

For repeated use or shared use one needs to be carful to keep the instructions. Unfortunately last time I looked some months ago the website was contaminated and not accessible.

The problem with getting someone to do it and even travel a short distance to do so, is the downtime between coats which would make it uneconomic. I imagine there is similar downtime with the other stuff.

However if you are on site and take care to read and follow the instructions accurately it is easy to do yourself and save some money particularly if you can share the cost.

I have used it and it works.

how long did it last,by all counts most reviews don't seem so positive. This also raises the point of how many on here use anything on their props/sail drives at all??

I have heard similar stories of the Propspeed too. For some it seems to be fantastic and lasts the 5 yrs stated and others seem to have trouble keeping it on for less than 12mnths. In that, I have no idea if it is application or perhaps speed of prop rotation or maybe even an electrolysis problem. In look at the Trademe stuff, it looks like a similar type of product and I think you would have as much luck with that as you woudl propspeed. In fact, it seems to have one process more than propspeed.

I've had Prop Speed for quite a few years. It lasts up to two years. Not one of the professional applicators I've ever had do the work has ever claimed 5 years life. My father had a very poor performance once and it lasted only 6 months but I put it down to that dodgy guy Joe at Gulf Harbour who also made one hell of a mess of the bottom of my boat when I paid him to scrape the antifouling off for me. Took me months of weekends to fix up his mess.

The secret with Prop Speed is all in the preparation apparently. Great stuff.

Now that you mention it AA when the propspeed lasted only 6mths after application it was done by the so-called professionals at Gulf Harbour also. That put me off but maybe I should give it another go. Hmmm?

Well BG it might be worth a go. I've had Touch of Gloss do it and both times is lasted 18 months with no growth then the remaining 6 months there was a bit of growth but nothing I could wipe off with a sponge every couple of months - total 2 years.

I just had it done by a guy at the yacht club who has done it for half the price of ToG and his prep was meticulous. I'll dig out his card and number if you're interested.

Interestingly the first time I had it done, my Dad had it done on his launch at the same time. Given that I use my prop alot less than he does I kind of expected it to last longer than his - but in fact it wasn't the case. It was about the same.

Results may vary! should be the title of this thread. :wink: I had it professionally done on the basis that it was a small percentage of the overall haulout/antifoul cost, brilliant results on the SST shaft, only average on the prop itself (but still better'n nothing). In summary: still happy and will do it again.

Mine has been on 19 months so far. I wouldn't expect 5 years. But would be happy to have enough to do 5 applications if I had to antifoul or haul for some other reason (provided of course that I had not spilled any and still had the instructions.)

Hhmm no disrespect intended but that has alot to do with being at Westpark I think. A guy who moors up the Mahurangi has a similar problem to you and I think it is because of the high levels of "solids" in the water.

Archived