My best is Mahaki , as I said there. She's a circa 1894 Logan.

Its hard to tell length in a foreshortened shot like that but Mahaki had a short bowsprit and was unusual for the day in that she was sloop rigged as opposed to cutter, which that photo subject has and is. The sheer fits , the cabin windows and coamings fit, the bow which is transitional clipper, not spoon , fits. I still get the feeling it might be a shorter boat than mahaki but , well, thats my best slightly educated in the area , guess.

I also vaguely recall a cruise to Whangaroa in Mahaki  being written up in one of the ancient magazine articles I used to pore over.

I came very close to buying her off Russell Going in about 1982 or perhaps 3. Eric Wing bought her and restored her to close to sailing condition , he used to keep her down on his berth at his yard  by the Caltex. Now Orams.

On the WBF  the photo is called Whangaparoa 1930.  Well we know its Whangaroa of course , thats a typo . But the 1930 could well be correct.

Getting hard to have that experience on the water these days.

I scuttle off in my princess alone every now and then for what I term mental health days and just lie in my cockpit or berth and read about great sea battles and adventures.

Part of the aging process I suppose along with becoming a avid bird watcher.

• Upvote 1