Rowboat question

About 3 cm wider than your arse?

I am interested in the proper answer for this. What sort of rowboat are you referring to? yacht tender? I've seen a lot of boats that tend to have a ratio of about 3:1 length to beam, maybe a bit more tubby / beamy for dinghies (i.e. 2.5:1).

If you want a fast rower, the narrower the better, improving the prismatic coefficient. For example a rowing single scull is often narrower than your arse (sliding seat and rower sitting on top, not in).

Noting your comment of rowlocks at gunnels complicates things. The faster you want to go the longer oars needed, which then need the rowlocks further outboard to get the most efficient lever arm.

For a standard clinker type dingy, I'm going to go with 1.5 m beam (assuming length is sufficiently long enough).

Weren't you building a proper Wellsford sculler?

I gave the welsford joansa away for numerous bottles of mt gay. Once we bought BP I realised I no longer needed a garage project to console me for not having a real boat.

I'm looking at a tender but to fit it on deck I would have to tweak the measurements from the plans. Add a bit of beam and length. But if I go wider my bum and arms stay the same.

While your bum and arms stay the same you get better rowyness from longer oars, a way to achieve this is outriggers outside the gunwale for the rowlocks which mean you can have longer oars with slightly bigger blades and therefore more rowyness.

Having spent the last 5 years (with 3 more to come) with the Westlake Boys Rowing squad has taught me lots about rowing, almost to the point where we were considering a single skiff with the associated outriggers, sliding seat and sweeps oars as a cruising addition to the VB - or a bigger outboard for the RIB.

For a practical tender (like our nutshells) they are about 4' 6" wide with 6' oars on a 7'8" overall length, all tested by rowing around Browns Island and back to NZ ! Other designs are available...

of course longer is better without increasing beam for rowing performance . The practicalities of fitting on deck and carrying them up the beach single handed force the compromise of short length on a dinghy that still has to - on occasion take a five man crew ashore dry.