7.7m Cruiser

I know two rudders is the in-thing now.

I thought two keels went out of fashion in the 70's

But what is with the two outboards?

They could get one inboard for the price of that sea generator, and get rid of all three things hanging off the transom.

I've never understood the fascination with inboards.

With something hanging off the back, or in a well, you can get it clear of the water, remove it for servicing, or even keep it at home.

Not sure I'd want the setup in the pic tho, could be a bit iffy in a seaway on that wide transom

I love having two outboards if one stops coming up the river or amongst moored boats I have instant backup, plus nothing corroding in the water while moored, or dragging when sailing, if you have a heavy boat you probably need a diesel swinging a big prop that is well immersed though.

Yes, RM yachts, very good French thinking.

Yacht of the year in one of the smaller categories last year wasn't it?

The French do a lot of good thinking and design on yachts. What NZ may have been like if a certain Boat Tax didn't decapitate the industry.

They're cool looking boats that look like a lot of fun to sail.  I just filled in an hour of my (sick) day looking at vids.  :)

What do those twin keels go like upwind?  Dad had a bilge keel Nova 28 years ago, pig of a thing upwind.

A lift keel around NZ would be awesome wouldn't it?  So many shallow harbours that you could cruise into, a lot of the time with no one around.

no experience with these boats, but the basic mechanical problem is the same as it's ever been: all other things being equal, you can't get as much righting moment with twin keels as you can with a fin. 

Jesus, picky lot aren't you.

They do a single fin as well.

I would be interested too in how the bilgey gets along but given the coast generally does not suffer from depth issues a centre board would not be high on my list.

Seriously what are the options for 10m or less new boat.

Local market has lots of Youngs Townsons Wrights Davidsons etc that are all getting a bit long in the tooth and you can in my book pass up the Duffers Hansoff Varias and Bendy Boys at this or any other size.

oh yes they do look very cool, and you can get a fin if that's your preference. if i were in the market for a 200k 10m boat i'd definitely have a suss.

i think most people have given up on the lifting board idea as it doesn't really open up that much territory around here. all those bays you're dreaming of still have launches in!

Jesus, picky lot aren't you.

Hell yeah!  :)

It's pretty much a lotto pipe dream for me to think about a boat like a pogo/rm etc so while dreaming is the best time to be picky.

I don't see the point in a twin/bilge keel when the option of a lift keel is there, how often would you actually chose to dry out?  

Those twin keels look like they still draw quite a bit as well, over 4' which is more than the lift keel.  

I personally love the idea of a lift keel, the biggest downside is it's another moving part in fairly key area of the boat if something goes wrong.

I have a twin keeler, except they are inline, on the wind both down, or varying amounts of either (trimming, so to speak), eased sheets main down aft up, broad reach,  all up, running down wind aft board down,  tracks like a surfboard. Hard on the wind 45 degrees + - is as good as you'll get. keel base 700mm wide, 1m draft, sits upright on hard sand without legs.

Those RM yachts are just the sort of thing that NZ can do as well as France, and keep economical. Unfortunately no yards left interested, but they do fly and can be family cruised so the perfect gulf / coastal boat. And no pox or soft glass....

saw this on the RM site, re performance difference between single and twin keel:

What are the differences in performance between a single and a twin keel RM ?

VPP (polars) indicate differences of the order of 0.1 to 0.4 knots depending on the speeds and the wind in favour of a single In "speed tests" that we made with the two versions of the same boat, the single keel seemed slightly faster, but the difference was marginal.

In terms of behaviour, it is extremely difficult to feel a difference, even for skippers and experienced professionals who have often been "impressed" by the twin keel RM.

Those RM yachts are just the sort of thing that NZ can do as well as France, and keep economical. Unfortunately no yards left interested, but they do fly and can be family cruised so the perfect gulf / coastal boat. And no pox or soft glass....

Shame really that the home build faded from view.

I have seen some really great and some really tragic and truly awful diy projects over my time.

The RM lends itself or a version of to being a great kit boat.

No reason why a local design could not be mustered using the concept.

You just need access to energy, space and the loot to be able to pursue project of this nature.