Tomorrow weather

I'm in India working at the moment but I just heard that the live-aboard couple on the boat next to ours were out in worst of it last night doubling up my lines and checking everything was ok with the boat. We're directly upwind of them and I think they were starting to get concerned.

It's great to have good neighbours, I owe them...

he held up 3 very much alive chooks :)

They stay fresher for longer like that.

No best before dates to worry about,

no packaging (well, no plastic packaging, those feathers sure can make a mess)

98% of the worlds chicken eaters adopt this method, means they don't have to worry about the power going off (first world problems and all that).

As a truckie the Auckland power outage has been awesome ????

The traffic had been flowing brilliantly, with no big queues' at the usual snarl up spots, right up until 2pm when I headed home. Apparently building sites need power too, so early day for us today.

Maybe council should remove all those unnecessary traffic lights, must be some money available from selling it as scrap

yeah i think we were "lucky" that our power went out early, and so was at the front of the repair queue. out at 10pm back at 3am. seems like those that went out later have a long wait.

We're up on the Waitaks, top of Henderson Valley, haven't seen a vector vehicle yet, which is totally understandable.

Last night on the radio 192 lines down, and 75 teams working. Logistics and comms will be working pretty hard!!

The app says we'll be back on tomorrow at midday, but I can seem them pushing that out further. Thankfully we have gas hobs & a wood burner, the only downside is going down the garden to the tanks to fill up water bottles.

Neighbours are full electric, have a feeling they'll be hanging out with us for some heat tonight!!

JK

A steel sloop named Lucy broke her mooring

NW of me midday Tuesday. (First front before the low hit).

This is the second from said mooring in two years.

Rumour has it was not inspected and recently been sold to him by PRevious

register owner. Reputed to be sold twice.

WTF are AT up to?

Tomorrow I will call AT and find out what is fact and what is fiction regarding this mooring and their enforcement protocols.

They won't tell you anything and say  "Privacy issues". I saw that boat tied up to the end of U marina today while I was in westhaven.  Where did it break off from, was it the one I saw on the cliffs by Ngataringa Bay?

(I at first had this posted on a less than ideal thread - so moved it here) 

Here is a 3-D radar image of the July, 2011 derecho as it hit the Great Lakes .

Peak winds of 130 mph; big damage all the way to the US East Coast.

Much more damaging than a tornado . .

Guess you were hit with something like it .

Sounds like the novelty of not having power is starting to wear off KM.

What sort of generator are you using and what are you powering with it?

We're fairly well set up to get through power cuts without a genny, but am starting to convince the missus having one wouldn't hurt.

The main things we would run off it are the fridge and water pump. I've got a work around for the water. I'm guessing over an extended time period the TV would be handy (for entertaining the kids) and for charging mobile devices. Heating, cooking and lighting are already sorted.

OK. I'll go there . .  

Why don't you techies re-power your blow boats with electric motors and generators? 

Would that not be WAAAY cheaper than re-powering with diesel ?  And quieter ? 

And if you have solar, you would not need to run the gen all the time . . 

This bad boy will get you 2.7 HP of charging energy . . 

(but I do hate the weight of those big battery banks - if there a way around that?) 

https://www.target.com/p/2000-watt-ultra-quiet-gasoline-powered-inverter-portable-generator-with-parallel-capability-a-ipower/-/A-51011829?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Patio+Garden+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Patio+Garden&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9015602&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZDJpfm42gIVgobACh0VwgZ_EAYYASABEgLGpfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think you might have missed the zombie apocalypse, we just voted the baby-eating f#@ks out.  Coleman definitely had bite marks on him and obviously Brownlee had his share of juicy fat babies.

I see the power is still out, maybe all trees over 4 meters should be cut down. :oops:  :oops:

It will also help the insurance companies by reducing the damage to properties.

Sorry guys another boring weekend in the outback of NSW. :roll:

the genny has now been wired into the switchboard.

I know you would have, but to anyone else that ever contemplates this, just make sure the switchboard is isolated from the mains supply to the House. Many years back, a Lines sparky lived up to his nickname after touching what should have been a dead line. It was after a Canterbury storm event and they were fixing the lines. Someone had plugged the genny in to a wall plug to power up his house, not understanding that the power fed back out to the main lines and made the lines live for miles. That situation is what kicked off the safety gear for shorting out lines to ground etc, that we see when they are now working on Line systems.