#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

In a couple of days The Keeper of the Purse and I are off to Holland to begin what we suspect to be the final chapter of our not very illustrious boating career.

We have a short-list of 11 - 12m motor cruisers to look at from which we will select one with the intention going forward of spending 6 months in NZ and 6 months on the inland waterways of Europe, mainly in France.

We are looking forward to it very much but I would be telling big porkies if I said it was not without a considerable degree of trepidation, I don't know why, but I expect its an old age thing. This canal boating business has been an on again off again affair, mainly off again, for the last few years because we kept running into what appeared to be insurmountable problems. As a minor example, a roaming cellphone is just too expensive for 6 month so we thought to buy a plan from a cellphone services provider in Europe. But in order to sign up with a cellphone network you need a bank account. And in order to open a bank account you need a permanent address. And in order to have a permanent address you need to be registered with the local council, and in order to register you need to have permanent residence status... etc.etc. You get the picture. And everything is like that.

But thankfully the Keeper of the Purse, time to reveal her real name, Joke (truly) made an executive decision committing us to the project and over the last weeks has spent literally hundreds of hours on the computer reducing beauracratic mountains to molehills in a truly incredible display of unrelenting tenacity, helped no doubt by the fact that she is Dutch, multi lingual and very stubborn. I always knew that my investment in her would pay off one day, although my involvement with the Dutch is a family affair. For many years my ancestors used to go viking down the coast of Holland, pillaging and carrying off the women although in my case I didn't steal anything and I did invite her nicely aboard my ship to go sailing.

So thanks to Joke, we think we know enough to get this business up and running. I have completed my CEVNI which seems to be a requirement for operating a boat on the inland waterways, I have upgraded my vhf license to the MSROC standard and I have my ICC for inland and coastal waters. I am not sure if all this studying was required but Joke made me do it. If there's one thing that annoys me about Joke, actually there'd lot of things that annoy me about Joke but her being a real stickler for doing things properly is right up there near the top of the list. So, needed or not, we are all systems go.

And finally, I need to acknowledge the invaluable help I have received on this forum, particularly with my interminable questions relating to diesel engines, gearboxes etc as we struggle to make the transition from a real boat to a mechanically propelled one. And in regard to help received I am particularly indebted to Matt aka Island Time for providing me with a motor boat and crew in which to do the practical elements of the ICC exam.

As a future motor boater I am probably continuing on this sailing forum under false pretenses, but neither do I want to go - you're and oddball lot but I feel very much at home here so I guess I must be one too. So if you see any value in it, I would like to contribute the odd post and pictures of canal life as it happens now and then, good, bad, warts and all.

Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Wish you all the best .

Journey well be safe and keep posting.

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,546 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Yeah Chris, good luck to the both of you, I'm sure you'll be fine...

Keep posting...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

European canals are superb. I loved them. Every mile is a new experience and huge variety which will make NZ cruising seem like monoculture (all very nice but many bays v similar). It was a disappointment when we finally ‘locked out’ of the canals and headed home via the big empty ocean!

If you have an ounce of curiosity in you and you like exploring new places / food / drink you’ll love it.

Wish it was me!
You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#5 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

Yes ,it'll be the best boating you've ever done. You will have one regret though,guaranteed ,and that is you didn't do it when you first thought of it.

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#6 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Photos and stories please. Brilliant.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#7 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

Best wishes to you and the admiral. Really looking forward to hearing all about it, so keep us up to date. :wave:

#8 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

Good one Chris, you may have some converts if your tales of places visited are in keeping with your usual posts. You could do Joke a favour and explain that her name in the Netherlands is normally to be pronounced "Yoka".   We have a neighbour, originally from Switzerland with the surname of Jackle, same difference, pronounced "Yacklay" at home, in maungy it is still Jackle. Just a tad envious, still awaiting notification from Lotto to allow it to happen!

#9 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,546 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

Hi Chris, I’ve made that canal boating forum, and moved this thread into it...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#10 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

Hi Chris, I’ve made that canal boating forum, and moved this thread into it...

Oh this is a good idea.

A lot of people looking forward to updates and hopefully lots of photo's as well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users