28 replies to this topic

#1 strath

strath

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Hi I am pulling out on Monday next, for a bottom scrape.

I have previously used Alex No10 ( light grey colour)

I want to go back to a softer ablative antifouling and have use Altex No5 before.

However I would like stay with the light grey colour but Altex No5 only comes in Red, Black or Blue.

The boat is on the marina at Gulf Harbour.

So I would like some feedback on Warpaint light grey colour please.

Strath

#2 S.M.U.

S.M.U.

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

My understanding that War is older technology but still has a loyal following. Another choice is international micron xtra 2 in dover white, has been known to out perform more expensive product up here in the north, but it is very soft.

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

There is not really any " older technology" as such. But it is a " price point" AF. Some get good results and others not so good. And that is the same for every AF on the market. The hard part is getting one that works best for your area. Water quality, temperature, current etc etc all play a part in how well they all work. 

#4 Battleship

Battleship

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:35 PM

Use it and like it. Don't expect it to work well after about 12 months it's been on one of the boats for over 2 years and has pretty much stopped working, but could probably be revived with a sand. It is very.nice to use and seems a lot less toxic than the international stuff.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#5 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

. . . and seems a lot less toxic than the international stuff.

you've drunk both?

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#6 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Its not soft you will have to scrub it unlike no. 5

#7 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

you've drunk both?

These multi sailors are seriously hard core
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#8 Battleship

Battleship

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

No just used both, international antifoul makes me seriously crook. Warpaint no so much. The thinner they sell to use with it just seems to be turps.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#9 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

You get what you pay for with a/f. Micron 66 is more expensive up front but a lot cheaper overall because it lasts much longer than,say, Warpaint which we've used in the past. But get it sprayed. Much better finish than roller / brush !

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#10 Battleship

Battleship

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Depends who is doing the job a lot. But yes generally spraying is a better finish. I have seen shocking examples of both. Got it sprayed last time and needed twice as much paint. When you.add in the cost of the application rolling is better for non race boats in my humble opinion. You can always give it a quick wet and dry if you want a super smooth finish.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users