Re Galvanising CQR Anchor

Seem to remember a thread dealing with re galvanising a CQR (i.e removing and then replacing the lead in the plough).

Can someone redirect me to this thread OR perhaps tell me who does this or any other relevant advice.

Thanks DL

Yes you have to remove the lead. That part is easy. Do you have a Gas torch?? or zip to an Engineer and get them to heat it and the collect the lead for you. Actually, it maybe worth calling the HotDipplace and asking if they would do that for you anyway. After it has been Galved again, they or ther engineer can poor it back in again.

Drop it in the bath and the lead quickly melts out, no worries. The worry is if it is knot replaced, the anchor will work crap.

You have to make sure the lead is replaced. Some galvanisers do that as standard, some you have to ask, some just don't and worst of all some refill it with zinc knot lead, which makes it too lite.

It must be lead that goes back in and upto the weight the anchor was to start with. More is fine, actually it's better, less is bad, often very bad. refilling it until you can get no more in is the way to go given the option.

David: Cost of regalvanizing is the next big issue.

They have minimum charges, so you need to regalvanise about 4 anchors or more at the same time, otherwise it could almost be cheaper to simply paint your existing anchor.

I looked at the costs about 2+ years ago and even doing 25kg anchor + 12m of 10mm chain, we were still under their minimum kg fee per invoice. Surprisingly still not yet regalvanised.

Wow, didn't know they were doing that now Paul.

What I have never understood, is why the charge by weight of the item (at least they used to) and not the surface area. So for instance, a sheet of steel would take more Galv because of surface area. If you crunched the sheet up into a ball, the surface area would now be small and yet the weight the same. So you now use far less Galv and yet the cost is the same. I don't know why they do not simply weigh the item before and after and charge based on the increase in weight.

Of course, maybe they now do this.i have not had anything Galved for many years.

One other alternative if you can find someone that does it, is to hot metal spray Zinc on. Check the yellow pages. You would not have to remove the Lead for that one. The metal does not get hot enough.They use and arc to melt the Galv and the Hot Galv is sprayed onto the Parent metal and it welds itself to the surface.

I have just had one alternative idea though.

First just to qaulify this idea. I have never tried this in this situation, so can not testify if it will work.

There is a product that I use a lot here called Metaflux. It is NOT a paint.But it does come in spray cans and sprays on as a paint. It is real metal. Now the really cool thing about this stuff, is that it can be heat treated after it has dried and if you get the parent metal hot enough, the spray actually bonds to the metal surface and the two metals "meld" top become one. I have done plenty of small components like Galv pipe fittings with the SST spray and it seems to work in that situation. I spray the part and then once dry, I sit them on the Element on the Electric cook top and heat it real hot.

I am not sure just how you can heat the anchor hot enough for long enough with out a proper oven for metal work. But if you know an engineering firm that heat treats, maybe they would do that part for you.

The sprays available are SST, Copper, Brass, Zinc and Aluminium.

I recomend the SST because it produces a very hard scratch resitant and corrosion resistant surface.

There is a spray on zinc dude just down the road from us. He has done a few anchors. The word is that it stands up bloody well but does cost a bit more.

When I wonder past to get lunch I'll pop in and ask some questions.

East Tamaki is the one we like best as well. Especially for chain as they have a spinner. But Steelmasters in Penrose have their spinner up and running now and know the gamne well so a 2nd option.

Sorry, stomach over came memory so I forgot to ask spray galv dude. Note made to do so in the AM.

Spoke to outfit just now and it goes a bit like this.

What they do is basically spray a zinc coating on and then electrocute it. It gives a matt finish which stands up bloody well or so I've been told by 2 people who have actually done it. Strangely enuff the applicator dude said the same thing, Gosh what a surprise.

It is a cold process so if you have a CQR style anchor with lead in it, the lead can stay no worries as it won't effect it in anyway. The anchor is sand (something) blasted to get a good key then the zinc is sprayed on. If you want a extra duty coating, no worries just spray more on until you reach whatever micros of cover you would like. Then somehow or other the anchor is zapped with electrics to set it all, or something close along those lines.

The process is knot hard so they can actually coat paper and have actually coats plant leaves, no idea what would cause a rust issue with those though :)

I asked cost. It was $78 per square meter (plus GST) but it was noted that was on a flat surface and shaped things like anchors do work out about twice that due to wastage. So a 'average sized anchor' (and from that description along with hand signals I'm picking that to be around a 40lb (13kg) one) he said around $150.

I think it's well worth a suss as an option.

If you'd like to chat to this particular outfit, based in Glenfield on the Shore they are called Thermo Coatings, ph 0800 NON STICK. And as the phone number may suggest they are also into coating/recoating things with non stick stuff, yes that does include the frypan.

Oh Oh cunning plan. Tell the missus you are getting her frypan re coated so she can continue to produce food just like Gordon Ramsy, as she it that good (yes, some may need to work on their bluffing skills with that) and when you drop her pan in let your anchor fall out of the car at the same time :lol:

Oh Oh cunning plan. Tell the missus you are getting her frypan re coated so she can continue to produce food just like Gordon Ramsy, as she it that good (yes, some may need to work on their bluffing skills with that) and when you drop her pan in let your anchor fall out of the car at the same time :lol:

Thats devious, why not suggest to her that you are getting the anchor done, telling her that this place also recoats frying pans and get her to pay for the lot. :wink:

I've been married around 425 years, roughly, now so I have evolved in to husband mode. As we hubbies know it's knot what you say but how you say it ;)

I got plenty more if any hubby gets stuck trying to get some bits for their boat without her bitching toooooo much :lol:

As we hubbies know it's knot what you say but how you say it ;)

Or just don't say anything, keep it hidden then one day (the day after you got it) while cleaning out the shed / garage / back room you find a dusty piece of kit that strangely matches what you have been wanting to get :thumbup:

Could they Teflon coat propellors?

I do believe they might be able to, they do do Teflon. Another lunch visit coming up, stand by.

Sorry Mr SR our oven is not big enough to take an object of that length, its only 9.0 m long. :wink:

Archived