Price of sails

Currently looking at replacing our main and headsail.  12.8m yacht.  Main 5 full length battons 3 reef points 33 sq m .  Headsail, furler 120% 44 sq m  (according to the quote).

My question is relating to the relative costs between the 2 sails.  A friend replaced his a couple of years ago and the Headsail was quite a bit cheaper than the Main.  The quote I have has them about the same price.

So all you experts out there is that about right?

There is a big difference in design detail and cost of head sails for furler and for a straight headsail (either hank on or bolt rope). Furling headsails cost more.

Was your friends headsail furling or non-furling?

Obviously there is also a big difference in material specs, design (cross cut, radial, 3D film laminate etc). Some headsails are spec'd for a narrow wind range and don't need a whole lot of other details, if you want an 'all purpose, wide wind range' headsail, it will have more details in it.

i.e. you can get all the fruity bits for the main (most people do), as it is used all the time, where as if you have a selection of headsails (1, blade, 3) they can be a simplier spec. If a furling one to handle 7- 28 knts it will be fully spec'd and priced accordingly.

Recently bought a new Tri-Radial Laminate Main and Yankee for our 12.8m boat. Main is 37sqm, Yankee 29sqm. Made in NZ (Auckland). Main was roughly 1/3 more expensive than the Yankee.

Main fully battened with 3 reef points and extra reinforcing, Yankee roller furled with an insert on the luff. Well made solid sails with a lovely shape.