Yachtie Fined By MNZ

Of course I can't race offshore as my designer is no longer available to produce a gz curve.

We calculated the GZ curve for Black Fun around 2003/4. Didn't have plans so scaled Waveriders plans with a bit of a nip and tuck to fit and computer modeled that with the 2m fin keel and 220kg bulb she had.

With the addition of a port/starboard/fore/aft inclination test with 5 graduated weights that gave us the data to verify what we had modeled.

Do you have plans..? Know any good Naval Architects?

On the one hand ,It cost a Cav 45, designed by Laurie Davidson ( anyone heard of him?) $1500 from another designer to get a stability curve done so it could do an offshore race.

Thats what the owner told me.

On the positive side I don't believe any Category inspector would demand that for Cat 1 cruising.

You're near gulf harbour David , you should go and have a chat to Graham about it.

But that's what they said about the "how to be rescued " course. I know it isn't required at present. But I fear for the future.

I think wheels is onto it. This particular incident in isolation may or may not have been justified., I don't know. But it is valid to worry about the increasing encroachment on what we do by a number of groups (MNZ, Harbourmaster, Police, Coastguard, YNZ) and that encroachment always comes at a cost in time or money.

And at a certain point people give up or look for a loophole.

This thread got me thinking I need to download the latest version of the rules.  I went to the "Yacht Safety Inspectors Manual" and the very first line is:

"New Zealand has always had a safety inspection process for NZ flagged pleasure vessels departing for overseas"

I have heard some cr#p in my time but that takes the biscuit.  

I can't believe some of the stuff in this manual:

"all boats over 12 metres long must also display a garbage disposal sign"

I am not really sure how this relates to vessel safety?

They missed the Whangaroa entrance by some distance - the tragedy happened North of Taupo Bay from memory. They were trying to get into Whangaroa but got disoriented in the storm.

I didn't know the NZ regs required a sign. In the US, you have to have one. Their rules for garbage disposal are really over the top.
Mind you, you can discharge a holding tank closer to shore than you can throw vegi scraps over the side. You are supposed to be at east 5Nm off shore before throwing scraps over the side. I have never worked that reasoning out.