Launch Sunk

This weather has sunk a launch at Stanmore Bay.

It was on a mooring, sunk on the mooring, but debris is washing up along the beach.

The owner was down there with a 6 wheel truck and ute clearing up, along with a number of friends and helpers getting debris off the beach.

The bulk of it is still on the mooring, with a small part floating above water.

It was a 40 ft kauri launch, with a 120 Perkins. Shame, you can't get kauri anymore, and you can't get launches like that anymore.

The owner was philosophical, said he was just getting organised for a haul out and what amounted to a re-fit. Wont be doing that now.

And two fishermen and their boat are missing out at the Barrier after not returning yesterday.

Given the weather we have had through here today, that sounds very concerning. Tiri topped out at low 50's gusting low 60's about 1 pm, and a lot of rain.

Any other details wheels?

Found the link

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/103462324/fishing-boat-with-two-onboard-missing-since-friday

Not a lot of information, 2 overdue from Friday. Doesn't say if the boat is from or was at the Barrier, it just says the fishing contest they entered was at the Barrier.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12041594

found and safe

Does anyone know the name of the launch that sank?

Name on the side of the boat looks like 'Marrie' but it was very faint. Had old fashioned twirly swirls around it.

The boat has washed into the shallows now, mid calf deep water at low tide. Just the hull now, the deck and all of the internal fit out has gone. The bow looks to be split open. The owner and several mates were hard at it attempting to remove the boat from the environment. They had the 6 wheel truck again and several utes. Last I saw, they were attempting to tow it out beam on, and on the first attempt the lifting strops they were using snapped.

Not really filling me with confidence that they will manage to get it off the beach, but full credit for not just walking away. Didn't see any other debris on the beach.

This is turning into a wee little story.

My missus was down at the park and playground today with the kids, and overheard some lady having a go at the guy who's trying to get his wrecked boat off the beach.

She wanted to know "if he had a permit for driving vehicles on the beach"

Apparently the guy handled it well, and while looking visibly pissed off remain "civil" but wanted to know why her dog wasn't under control on the beach.

Of all the things to worry about with a wrecked boat on a popular beach, I don't think driving vehicles on the beach is one of them. I've got a bit of a vested interest in this, probably along with the rest of Stanmore Bay, as I want that wrecked boat off the beach. So I popped down this afternoon and told the guy "full credit" for cleaning your sh*t up and don't worry about the Lady having a pop.

Turned out he'd walked the length of the beach and back at 1 am (low tide) to ensure ALL  debris was picked up (and it was). The guys had been up to their wastes in water today, and rain for a large part of the day, working to clean this up. The bill he'd have to pay if the Harbour Master sorted it out was in the order of $10k.

They couldn't haul the boat out of the shallows yesterday, so started breaking it up with a chainsaw today (its spring tides at the moment, so good low tides). They had the engine and fuel tank out and on the slipway, along with some other significant bits (a very substantial engine bearer, all kauri....).

They did manage to start hauling the remains of the boat out above the tide while I was there (the hull from the waterline down). At one stage they got the 6 wheel dump truck stuck, then got a 6 wheel watercart stuck getting the 6 wheeler out. They managed to sort all of that out with a single axle hiab that turned up (that may be all wheel drive by the looks).

A scrap metal dealer's truck with a grab arm also turned up, to clear the engine and other rubbish off the slipway.

Looks like they will be successful, and full credit to the guy for taking responsibility for his sh*t and not just walking away, like so many would do, especially when they've just lost their boat.

There is a bit of debris and splinters washing up now the boat is broken / breaking up. I'm sure if anyone is in the area and available, any help would be greatly appreciated picking up any debris (the guy has been hard at it for three days now). Low tide is 14:17 tomorrow, I will see what I can do around my lunch break.

This is turning into a wee little story.

My missus was down at the park and playground today with the kids, and overheard some lady having a go at the guy who's trying to get his wrecked boat off the beach.

She wanted to know "if he had a permit for driving vehicles on the beach"

Unbelievable Stanmore bay has a public boat ramp n it too!!

There is a largish 45+ foot ketch with lattice steel masts also sunk in Hobson Bay after the other night.

Been there a few days rocket launcher and masts the only thing visible. Sad to see.