#1 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

The crap weather has me planning a summer trip....does anyone know how far either side of high tide you can get into the inlet? BA22 so draw about 0.46m with the CB up.

Thanks.

#2 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

I've not been there myself but a friend who has reckons 3hrs either side if you follow the channel otherwise 2hrs should do it ok. You've got me interested now, not that i'm tiring of the sounds at all...

#3 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info! Abel Tasman seems to be made for a Trailer Sailer. Tried the Sounds in January, too much motoring for my poor little old Outboard.

#4 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

Many of the little inlets are fantastic to explore at high tide, but some completely dry out at low. I am not sure what happens to Awaroa exactly, although there is a river or more like a stream that flows through it.

#5 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

Many of the little inlets are fantastic to explore at high tide, but some completely dry out at low. I am not sure what happens to Awaroa exactly, although there is a river or more like a stream that flows through it.

A lot of Awaroa dries out, it used to be quite deep mud, probably still is, could be walked over, but definitely a good leg workout. reasonable water in the channel(s)  a low tide.

#6 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Just inside the entrance behind the spit where it connects to the headland there's a deep hole about 2 metres at low tide . Walked the track this past summer and did a thorough recce of all the inlets and it's a stunning piece of coastline . Pretty much all the inlets have channels that will just float a TS with board up but you will need to pick your spot mid-channel . And I cannot stress this enough... Get mozzie screens for all openings in your boat . Each inlet has its own plague , some it's sand flies and others it's mozzies and yet others it's both . Insane amount of bumble bees too

#7 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

Thanks guys, there's a little batch in the inlet I've got my eyes on (the wife and kids aren't keen on sleeping on the boat). Marahau looks good too, there looks to be a campground and a decent sized boat ramp there.

#8 splat

splat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

I always found it much easier to leave from Motueka. Good ramp and plenty of parking. Just need to pick the right conditions and leave very early in the AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users