• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Interesting to hear you say that booboo. A lot of people who were cruising 10 or 20 years ago think it's stuffed now. It's certainly gone downhill and showing no sign of a turnaround. Therefore absolutely agree with your go now call.
At a personal level we are close to wanting to do the red sea and Suez. I've been waiting to hear things have improved there but it just ain't so. ( we may have to fly to daughter's graduation instead of sail). But I just want to get some cruising in soon before it is roo late.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#22 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

It certainly can be cost neutral if you pick the right boat.

We met several kiwis sailing back from both sides of the states and doing it effectively for free.

All the way from the Med was less common then.

One Aussie on an ex charter cat started advertising a bit soon.

He ended up selling it in Fiji and having to fly home.

His crew line handled for us in Panama as it happens.

#23 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

And of course in 8 to 10 years you may be too old or your leg may have fallen off or something

#24 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

I just think that anyone who is thinking about it should do it soon.
The NZ boat market will be flooded with bigger second hand production boats soon.

Would be interested in some elaboration here. Is there something in particular that you see triggering a surge? And is your point that the increase in supply to the market will tip the economics against being able to sell at an attractive price on arrival?

#25 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

We're looking at it and will be doing it inside 5y.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#26 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

Exactly Mark MT or even worse not be able to sell at all. Probably around half the cruisers we have met are planning to sell in NZ or Aussie.

#27 Adrianp

Adrianp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

A view from the other side of the equation. 

While shopping for Cats here in NZ we looked at a few where the guys had brought them in the Caribbean, sailed home to NZ and were trying to sell them. The problem they had was that they had made their plan off looking at the listed prices of similar boat here in NZ, not really knowing those boats were not selling at those prices.

They then did the trip, get very attached to the boat and think it is worth top dollar, when its actually just sailed half way around the world and is a bit tired. He wants his trip to cost nothing

The real problem is that they then refuse to settle for a reasonable sales value and then sits on it waiting for top dollar. These big cruising boats go downhill very quickly if not regularly used and maintained and very quickly become a "project" boat worth way less again. 

Real world numbers from one example - Voyage 430 Cat

I'm guessing the guy brought it for $250-300K + $50-60k of taxes to import to NZ.

Sellar thought he'd get $350K for it in NZ

After being on the market for 6 months it dropped to $320k

We look at in 6 months later and it hasn't been used for the whole 12 months here in NZ so everything is stuffed. All the "New" gear (sails, electonics, etc) was new in the Caribbean and is now 3-4 years old and have done some big miles + sat unused for 12 months of that. Owner is prepared to settle for $295k. He almost punches my lights out when I tell him its a project boat in the low to mid $200's. We walk away. 

3 months late he finally sells it someone else for $230ish. In the 15 months she's been for sale here in NZ he'd have spent another 20-30K on it.

Formally Freeeeeeeeeedom but we've got our new boat - Lady Nada - https://sailingladyn...wordpress.com/ 

#28 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hey Adrian - I could get you a job selling real estate!!!!

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#29 Adrianp

Adrianp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

I think I was the first person to tell that guy the truth about his boat, not just "very nice, we'll get back to you". I then walked him through his boat pointing out all the issues, till he could see it from our prospective.

We had that scenario at least 3 boats here in NZ!

Formally Freeeeeeeeeedom but we've got our new boat - Lady Nada - https://sailingladyn...wordpress.com/ 

#30 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

Not a lot of buyers for 300 k boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users