help needed! mariner kero cooker/oven

generally 

the valve is to release tank pressure after cooking to stop kero weeping past flame control and smelling out the boat

but you really do need pics and make of stove  "generally" isn't enough with a pressure stove

usually the more important thing is starting it safely ie not burning cold kero with big yellow flames and black sooty clouds

does it have meths preheat bowls?

ok

so generally the start procedure would be something like

1. make sure fuel tank is somewhere 10 - 90% full........never 100% as you need the headspace air to compress

2. close the burner and the tank valves

3. fill preheat bowl with meths + light

4. build up some pressure in the tank with pumping

5. after 60? sec the burning meths should have vapourised the kero in the tubes of the burner head, gently open the flame control valve a little to release the kero gas

the gas should ignite and burn, let it burn gently at low level while you put a little more pressure in the tank with the pump

the kero flame won't burn cleanly while the meths still burns in the bowl, staves the kero jet of oxygen, flame will still be a mix of blue + yellow

6. when the meths has burnt out and everything warmed up the flame should be all blue and seperate from the burner jets

7. now the flame control valve can be opened up fully and maximum pressure put in the tank

when finished cooking

8. close flame control valve to shut off kero gas and stop flame

9. open tank valve to release kero gas pressure from tank

or like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1sTEiBU7I

• Upvote 1

If you're using the Tilly lantern equivalent, be aware they get hot. So hot that it you tie them to a tent pole using rope, there is a potential for the rope to burn / melt and the entire thing to come crashing down in a ball of flame.

Not good and especially not good when you've left the young kids in bed in the tent and gone to have a quiet nightcap with friends next door.

I never saw my father move so quick - especially considering he had my sister and I in sleeping bags under his arms.... 

Funny how some memories linger....

Smith design ?

The Mariner stove/oven  cook top is hinged at the rear, lift it up to expose the 3 burners and the kero filler cap is in the left hand rear corner. Fill the tank very slowly to allow the air to displace.

Then follow erices lighting instructions !

At the end of a rollicking days sail tucked up all snuggly and warm.

3Bxz6A9.jpg

Your saloon does look very snuggly Priscilla.

Could you tell more about your kero heating set up? is the lantern for heat or light (or both). I am after a modest amount of heat for the saloon to extend the cruising season a little bit. We've got an LPG oven that warms the place nicely, and I haven't actually worked out why I can't use that for heating, other than the moisture issues and I've got some vague idea it not a good idea.

Smith design ?

The Mariner stove/oven  cook top is hinged at the rear, lift it up to expose the 3 burners and the kero filler cap is in the left hand rear corner. Fill the tank very slowly to allow the air to displace.

Then follow erices lighting instructions !

ok. will check this out. any thoughts on the air valve and gauge on front??

Actually the one in the pic is a later date brass body Tilley and the my usual is a 246 brass body circa 1959.

No ventilation or dampness issues just leave a hatch or two ajar.

As you get older in date small things matter more.

My father owned the Waione and as a very young boy we two handed that slim wooden canoe around the coast in many and various conditions.

Christ it is amazing to think that I would ever have returned to the sea with the passion that I have given the dramas father and son encountered in that aged log of wood.

My father is now old and will soon move on to other horizons and for all our differences and difficulties I am a better sailor for our collective chaotic experiences. 

seem to be 2 copies of a mariner stove instruction pdf on this page

but may be gas....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/mariner-ovens-mariner-range-w-oven-177990.html

and a pic of a 3 burner + oven on this page

http://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=899

thanks, its a lot like the second one for sure, although slightly different on front.  

I bought a packet of about 50 of those little tea light candles for a few dollars haven’t tried it yet but i would think burning 5 or 10 of them safely in a pot or similar would help heating in a small boat with adequate ventilation Not much of a financial commitment to find out.