Flip Link?

, I and around 30 boats I know of in NZ have and are using them. A lot more use the other type.

So they are obviously OK then?.. I have a old (1966) bow roller narrow and our manson 'supreme' is anything but at times. Excellent holding but invariably comes up wrong way around. Considering getting a kicker welded as an extension to the roller or a steven joyce?

Thanks Knot me. Good advice mate. We are chain warp (60m 14mm plait 15m 8mm short link). Worked well with the old CQR (someone nicked it!) but as you say supremes is a pain at times. I think the angle of the roller is too steep so adding a second at a lower angle and projecting out further will roll the anchor over? Thinking of getting a plate welded to the old bow roller and bolting another under it? Another issue just discovered this morning is our 'new' (second hand from Jack Stanley) anchor buddy raps itself around the warp! Why?

Knot me  

Looking to upgrade to a Supreme in the next few months. (10kg +/- for beamy 31 ft)).  At this stage lifted off bow each use.  What  "Can you get better for the same or less coin?".  Understand (and want)your personal perspective and that it is not a commercial endorsement. Ta

Sorry, I probably meant more personal experience than advice. Incidentally, we think our anchor buddy reached bottom on a low tide and rolled so painter rapped around the warp, quite a mess! We lost as in someone (believe it or not) picked up our CQR and chain in Mussel Bay one night, undid the shackle and made off with it leaving us adrift, a story for another time? I was always pleased with it, held well but best of all, it set quickly, ideal for crowded achorages which Mussel Bay was at the time. The supreme is a great anchor but..BUT at times you wonder if it will ever bite in! We are chain warp so that shouldnt effect it. I think there is a lot of opinions as there are anchors, a lot say the bruce is great but there hulls are twice the lenght of our little 30 feet.

I still wouldn't change anchors now. Thats my 20c worth.

Having been brought up with real CQR anchors and never really having any trouble with them (other than the odd snagged finger, and some gentle dragging at times), I thought they were the business, until I got a Rocna for the last boat. Immediately it felt more secure, first from the ease of setting, then over time, never dragging. Sometimes had the odd problem breaking it out when raising the anchor though. For the current boat we went the Excel way, and will not be changing. Sits on the bow well, launches no problem, sets immediately, holds fast, and is easier to break out of the bottom when raising. AND, pertinent to the original direction of the thread, it resets on the roller in the correct orientation, without assistance, every time. The Rocna didn't do that.

Bang on the head about the newer designs being more idiot proof. We anchor in some interesting spots down here, each to their own as suits their needs, but I feel happier knowing I can essentially kick the hook over the side and know it will set straight away, and I can recover it in a hurry if required.