So he's looking for support, he lists:

* Video production resource

*Online publishers and TV broadcasters

*Brand Partners (Sponsors)

But he didn't mention psychologists.

He wants to set a record for circumnavigating the world,in the Southern Ocean, by the three great capes,in the smallest boat and the slowest time...

I'm fairly sure he'll need a psychologist.

the guy is a nutbar for sure (meant in the nicest possible way)

But an awesome guy. Loved the books, love the boat. but wow, must be mad.

Hope he gets support and makes it around. Go Andrew go!

Enjoyed his books, including the kids one and Davilon the Morocat. However Andrews approach to yachting is a bit different - it is something to be endured & suffered perhaps a little scottish strength and fortitude through suffering . Me I would rather sail quickish to tropical climes. However I respect what he is wanting to do and for sure he is more likely to succeed than Yrvind.  

Went to a talk he gave about his trip to Auckland island and Aus. He is definitely a character and tells  a good story. I think said he lives on tuna and onion sandwiches or something like that. His wife is Karyn Hay who is on Radio NZ 10-11pm.

I’ve been corresponding with him a bit lately over his plans. We’ve been friends ever since he sailed on Sundreamer in a Coastal Classic

Here’s some extracts from emails I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing

I've been working on a little ship for the last 2 yrs. I do the midnight to 4am and midday to 4pm watch.

We go from Tauranga to Pitcairn Island 3000 miles at 10kts 4 times a year and take their food, fuel etc up.

It's apparently like being in prison in a way, can't escape and same 9 people.... and it feels like time travelling.....each trip 7 weeks.

I leave again 1st Nov.

Cheers

ps: Been great for off watch song writing and recording.Do it on my laptop.... Hear attached..

Hi Philip,

Thanks!

I'm in Mangareva (Gambier Islands) for a couple of hours this morning.

Did the midnight to 4am watch, then let the ship's anchor out a little bit before we went over the reef at 5am then stayed on the bow with the VHF in case the engines failed, then got the mooring lines ready, then we tied up at 6am then cleaned out the passenger cabins linen then walked up the dirt road to this internet cafe with a dirt floor and very slow wifi.....haha

The tourists (10) fly out to Tahiti soon then we induct new ones and leave this arvo again for Pitcairn 300 miles (30 hrs) away. Last rotation before heading back to Tauranga next wednesday, 2600 miles at 10 knots.

Nice up here, 24 c at night, constant moderate SE wind usually.

Sort of enjoy this Boating at an Industrial scale!

I'm looking for private funding to sail Swirly World Around The World and need about 200k to fit out and keep the home fires burning while I'm away for 14 months.

I'm (confidentially) going for the World Record of the smallest Sailing boat via the Great Capes.

Currently the record holder is Japanese 21ft 1974.

He’s still performing with the Mockers too. He reckoned we used to do it pretty well at coastal.
  • Upvote 1

He’s a man who certainly deserves some respect. What he’s done already in swirly world is very hard, but this planned voyage is another level altogether! Best of luck to him....

How the hell do you provision a boat that small for that length of time.

I've been thinking about that. Very difficult. I'm assuming you need a water maker. You simply couldn't carry drinking water for that voyage. He eats very plane food anyway. When he did the trans Tasman he struggled to fit in all of the compulsory safety gear and his kit. Energy for a water making is tricky but do able with the modern gear.

Then it comes down to weight and volume for the food. Hello freeze dried.

I didn't get the impression that it would be "non-stop" - he's allowing 2 years to do this.

That would explain a lot.

I was wondering, if he set off in June, what the the weather would be like at Cape Horn. If he were to do it non-stop, he would end up being in the Southern Ocean in winter at some point along the trip. I wouldn't think the Southern Ocean in winter is a good idea, regardless of the size of your boat.

I didn't get the impression that it would be "non-stop" - he's allowing 2 years to do this.

Puff's article quoted 14 months. He didn't mention any stop in the vid. Even if he does have stops, there are some very long legs.

How the hell do you provision a boat that small for that length of time.

Lots of freeze-dried and a watermaker would do it. Sounds like a miserable existence mind you.

I look forward to the book after this one he is a great story teller.

Well I am going to firstly ask why and secondly what does he exactly achieve by tempting fate in a seaborne peanut.

Personally this one leaves me stone cold and full of fear.

He has family and loved ones and he is a extremely old school talent but this proposed endeavour smacks of self indulgent risky behaviour taken to the max.

Andrew should look to his perished namesake that train wreck Aussie character who left a weeping widow clutching his empty kayak. 

Not cool at all.

Yup, and before all you closet solo first to climb Everest in the nude and Mariana Trench free divers burst into life can anyone name the present holder of the record for mini circumnavigations without reaching for the google.

Priscilla, I completely disagree with that. Andrew knows whats out there. His level of acceptable risk is higher than most. Many people say sailing across an ocean at all is foolhardy.

All extreme sports carry similar risk, and it's always been the adventurous expanding our horizons