New 26 foot import

JK

Unless it's significantly cheaper than its Kiwi counterpart, isn't it better to support local business?

Especially considering Kiwis build the best boats in the world, and the reputation of Asian based builders is comparitively poor...

It would be a real shame for NZ to become flooded with imported boats!!!

Hang on... :shock:

Laser,

Splash,

Oppy,

42/70,

2/49er

At least the Starlings and the Zephyrs are going strong!! :thumbup:

Well theres your problem? Why build a new one. Jagged Edge was as good as and less than half that.

Comparing new only, the Loomes xs8, or whatever its being marketed as now, is a very fun boat to sail, done some yards on the original. Plus it has a larger interior and cockpit. And that has not caught on at all.

Don't know about the keel j.h, the image on the website looks a bit different. As for cheapness, it would be around half the price of the Loomes 8. No vested interest, Keith Elliott brought it up in conversation at last Opti regatta at Pupuke & seemed to be at a good price for racing in the under26ft club events, already being used for one-design racing and being sold internationally. More cruising oriented than the Platu, guess you could wait for Tony to bring in a Flying Tiger 7.5 for a comparison if it's a pure race boat you are after, but I would have thought the Shaw 6.5 would have that covered.

FE26-2.jpg

Well theres your problem? Why build a new one. Jagged Edge was as good as and less than half that.

Comparing new only, the Loomes xs8, or whatever its being marketed as now, is a very fun boat to sail, done some yards on the original. Plus it has a larger interior and cockpit. And that has not caught on at all.

new vs old is a different argument. have to compare new to new here to be fair...

This is a classic example of why manufacturing is a dead dog in NZ, not just boats either.

We can't compete as soon as anything gets scaled up to production level. :(

Basically we are a large R&D island.

I guess we have to hang in there until the Chinese cost of labour catches up to the rest of the world.

They will be a massive market by that stage, and the world will be a smoking hole in the ground from all the raw materials having been sucked out of it.

I hope I'm not still here to experience it. :(

i think the keel is designed like that so when it is lifted it doesnt stick through the cabin top. but they still had to have enough lateral resistance so they made it long and shallow

You'd have to say that at the weight the SR wouldn't have much to worry about. The must be an option B keel though right? Must be a solid glass boat for it to be that heavy.

Price looks pretty good to me.

Might as well buy it without a keel (at a good discount of course) and bung on one of those old 930 keels that must surely be lying around.

:lol: 3 in Steves yard I'm told or will be very very shortly.

And they are quick, one old school semi-cruising set up one got across the finishline before a big deep one in the weekend. Or so I'm told ;)

Looks heavy and at 26 foot and 1820kg it is heavy?

In there with you on that. 1820 isn't a lightweight.

??????..... my boat's 1900kg empty - weighed for IRC

The young 8.4's were 1800kg when launched back in the 80's and they're 28ft with 650kg in the keel. And now they're considered a bit weighty for a 28 footer. Just means they take longer to break out down hill. It's an advantage upwind though.

Archived