Pettit Vivid disappointment.

Will post a pic soon, but just hauled out at Norsand yesterday and WTF!!? We were given a half tin of vivid, a semi ablative and rolled it on December. Hauled put Opua to put in a new winch and touched up where it looked too thin ( they say put it on thin) then hauled out yesterday. Either side of the keel almost clean but the underside, an octopusses garden! Even a goose barnicle on the stern. Loads of little barnicles. Why? We left Opua same day we went back in and probably spent 2 weeks in Marsden Cove which is equally notorious for fowling (incidentally, they have given up fighting fan worm, they are everywhere). I know its used on alloy boats and probably for higher speed hulls (we get 6kts under power) but it seems very strange that there is little growth either side of the keel yet underneath the hull, quite a lot.

As an aside. I used lanolin on my prop and shaft. Cheap as chips and still working.

Does that work on the prop also BP?

What sort of prop do you have? (I'm assuming bronze)

Do you do anything fancy to apply it?

So just to clarify, you are applying lanolin in the water, and just with a rag? (and a mask and snorkel...) and it keeps the barnacles under control for a couple of months?

I'm using a combination of prop speed on the prop and max wax on the shaft, but having a kiwiprop, any barnacles in key bits cause substantial issues like vibration around the prop and shaft. Max wax must work basically the same as lanolin, but comes in a spray can. Obviously can't apply it underwater.

Will post a pic soon, but just hauled out at Norsand yesterday and WTF!!? We were given a half tin of vivid, a semi ablative and rolled it on December. Hauled put Opua to put in a new winch and touched up where it looked too thin ( they say put it on thin) then hauled out yesterday. Either side of the keel almost clean but the underside, an octopusses garden! Even a goose barnicle on the stern. Loads of little barnicles. Why? We left Opua same day we went back in and probably spent 2 weeks in Marsden Cove which is equally notorious for fowling (incidentally, they have given up fighting fan worm, they are everywhere). I know its used on alloy boats and probably for higher speed hulls (we get 6kts under power) but it seems very strange that there is little growth either side of the keel yet underneath the hull, quite a lot.

I guess no such thing as good or bad stuff on the bottom, all depends on the use and application. In my case Vivid worked very well in Lyttelton. I stripped the bottom back before I put new barrier coat and Vivid on Waimanu, and after 13 months I cleaned effortlessly, then I put her back to the water for another couple of months before the next coat (second season). As far I know, in our area this is a very acceptable result. For the record, I used her quite frequently even the speed barely exceeded 4.5knts (for obvious reason).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgi-OM_Muo

https://youtu.be/nDgi-OM_Muo

That's correct. I did have to spend a little extra time on the folding mechanism. I put the lanolin in there but it was initially thick enough to cause the mechanism to not work perfectly, but a 5 min blast at power sorted that out.

Just have to adjust your mindset from "it has to work as advertised" to "I'll do it whenever necessary".

I In my case Vivid worked very well in Lyttelton..be/nDgi-OM_Muo]https://youtu.be/nDgi-OM_Muo[/url]

Up here the barnies are like bloody limpet mines! A big cat hauled out here today, barnies a lot less than us but still lots. Asked the skipper how long in the drink, 2 months! Jotun black on it.

Now check this out. We had a little water getting into the deadwood ballast seam and use a product that refused to allow any antifoul to stick to it, so gave up and left it. When we hauled out in Opua, NOT A THING WAS STICKING TO IT! Slime yes, but no barnies. We decided to paint a test spot on the side of the keel and hauled out saturday and not a single barnie in it! Our dinghy spends a lot of time on the painter and fouls up so going to use it as a test subject and paint this "stuff" on it. Will let you know how it goes!

DSCF1431.JPG

Up here the barnies are like bloody limpet mines! A big cat hauled out here today, barnies a lot less than us but still lots. Asked the skipper how long in the drink, 2 months! Jotun black on it.

Now check this out. We had a little water getting into the deadwood ballast seam and use a product that refused to allow any antifoul to stick to it, so gave up and left it. When we hauled out in Opua, NOT A THING WAS STICKING TO IT! Slime yes, but no barnies. We decided to paint a test spot on the side of the keel and hauled out saturday and not a single barnie in it! Our dinghy spends a lot of time on the painter and fouls up so going to use it as a test subject and paint this "stuff" on it. Will let you know how it goes!

Water has been super warm this year, I got 32 degrees in the harbour in Feb. Barnies have loved it. Even the clearer parts of the harbour are nutrient rich so barnies have been crazy. If you aren't diving the boat every 2 weeks to clean off the slime you'll get barnacles starting after say 4 weeks then after 5-6 weeks they get big and well stuck.

None of the antifouls seem to work. The best option seems to be go for harder paints like vivid or ultra and clean regular. 

My experience seems to support this. Barnacles once on your hull, don't tend to fall off either.