Metservice f@ck up again

Fergus and Drena, 2 ex cyclones  a week or 10 days apart, Christmas '96/'7 season... seared into boating racial memory for evermore. I believe that season may have caused a re think as to how  a marine weather forecast operation should be run.

Thanks John, it is good to have actual details of a metservice f*ck up. 

Even if it was 22 years ago...

Hahahaha, yes.

I sympathise with the tone of the thread but as I've said many times before,  some seasons they're on and some they're off and the other guys are on. So its about interpreting and figuring out which of the forecasters are on the money for any given period.

Thats a nasty front coming now, it might be downright horrible this weekend. for example. Or , it may just make life in wellington miserable and we'll be fine. But I'll be in a car so I don't think I'll even look very hard.

Weather records to compare to last Thursday's forecast for the region.

Temp at wind at Army Bay - note first rain came through Whangaparaoa at 1:30 pm bulk of the rain after nightfall

Sat weather record.png

Wind speed and direction at Tiri for the last 48 hrs, up to noon Sunday

Tiri wind to 12 Sunday.png

Auckland must be a bugger of a city to forecast for everytime ive been up there its 4 seasons in one day,I sailed round the south island last year only using their forecasts they were spot on.I think maybe as sailors we are getting a bit soft in the eightys you left when the boat was loaded and just took your hidings.