Bracing requirements

I'm doing a bit of work on my Javelin and as part of that want to remove the traveler bar from the cockpit. I have attached a rough diagram of the existing bracing layout. In short, I am thinking that I should be able to get away with increasing the height of the transom to the top of the side decks. That way the side tanks will act as full length hollow section beams held together by the transom and front bulkhead.

The traveler bar that was in the boat went through the centre of the cockpit but was just held in with four short screws so I can't imagine it did anything other than hold the traveler down.

All of the bracing elements in orange have been added by me in carbon tube and glassed in at either end. This was to replace the screwed in aluminium bracing which was pretty marginal. The rig loads should be carried by the mast gate brace.

I've seen plenty of older boats with a similar layout but does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or am I just doing my best to ruin the boat?

Cockpit layout.JPG

Cheers,

Chris

I started a similar project on my old boat Blunderbus - currently for sale on TM but with no pics. I removed the traveller, but left th wooden bracing in place. The owner after me, took it out to open the cockpit up, and replaced it with laminated ply the shape of the hull so it sat on the cockpit floor, about 1.5” thick from memory. I could maybe get you in touch with him, find out if he thought it was worth it. What Javelin do you have? Do I remember correctly that your from Nelson and had JLS for a while?