Purchasing a liferaft for Tasman delivery trip and then selling it?

Is this a good idea?

Purchase a liferaft in aus for tasman trip and then sell for a reduced priced afyer delivery trip. I get my boat home and recoop some cost while someone gets a brand new liferaft for a reduced price.

Thoughts?

Suss taking one over from here. You can probably send one over for a few hundy and have it sitting ready for you to arrive. Then all you need to do is borrow one of the 100's that are sitting around town, sail home and good to go..... using the 'If we Feck it we fix it program' of course.

Just the logistics around shipping over and can pretty much make money back when you arrive

Life rafts are packed full of explosives. No chance of air freighting one of those. They are classified as hazardous or dangerous goods, or what ever the correct term is for something packed full of explosives. Even without the explosives, the large cylinders of compressed gas without a full proof shut off valve tend to make people nervous, especially when placing said cylinder inside a larger round cylinder and compressing it (i.e. an airplane fuselage).

You'll get me started on my love for flares again.... I mean explosive safety devices...

Life rafts are packed full of explosives. No chance of air freighting one of those. They are classified as hazardous or dangerous goods, or what ever the correct term is for something packed full of explosives. Even without the explosives, the large cylinders of compressed gas without a full proof shut off valve tend to make people nervous, especially when placing said cylinder inside a larger round cylinder and compressing it (i.e. an airplane fuselage).

You'll get me started on my love for flares again.... I mean explosive safety devices...

Yeah, they get all nervous. When I flew down to Nelson to sail Wild Oats to Mana, I took an inflatable lifejacket and a small liferaft packed in my suitcase. I asked them about the lifejacket and they said no, so i made out i was taking it back to the car and put it in my carry-on. I knew they didn't scan luggage to Nelson so I left the liferaft in my suitcase. You won't get away with that on a main route or international though

2 of us came back from Aussie last year each carrying a inflateable jacket in full view (in their mesh bags), no one said a word. Qantas.

Otto suggested mid Tasman, after a few too many beers, I stand up pull the cord and throw it into the aise while shouting Alle Ackbar. Luckily I hadn't had as many beers.

Why would they stop you?

There is already an inflatable life jacket under the seat, you didn't have to BYO

I recently flew back from Wellington on AirNZ with an inflatable life-jacket in my carry on luggage. It went through the x-ray machine & they did not mention it, although the security guys are independent of the airline. AirNZ don't ban them, they just want to be notified - although I didn't get around to that as was in a rush.

I had the same on return from England doing a stint on gipsy moth 1V around the Solent the inflatable Life jacket at customs I had the remove the gas canister from the jacket and leave it , wich didn’t worry me , but when I do the next moth trip I will buy one up there , at cowes,

You can carry lifejackets on an airline, without removing the cartridge. They are the same as the ones under the seat anyway!

Here is the Civil Aviation policy for the UK, for example;

I am sorry for any confusion.

You can take lifejackets onboard in your cabin and hold luggage as we supply lifejackets onboard.
You will be able to take up to two refills with you as well.
This is not our policy, this a policy that we abide by given us by the Civil Aviation Authority who regulates all airlines.

From England I had to take out the canister to nz I don’t know why and didn’t want to hassle them maby the ones under the seats we can’t reach till an emergency , I didn’t argue

Stereotypical beliefs about the sexes reside in a specific part of the brain called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex. I don't like sexism and think it needs to be stamped out. And as a man I'm taking a stand with the #MeToo movement. Reform your ventromedial prefrontal cortex if needed, and always keep it in check.

https://kmccready.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/lucky-male-feminist/

• Downvote 2

I didn't find the comment offensive, even though I have found comments from said poster out of order in the past.

But I just could't get this mental picture out of my head - 

curtesy sailinganarchy (richard branson / vanity fair)

richardbransonvanityfair-1.jpg