Maritime NZ workshop

Love to be a fly on the wall here (seen on twitter):

Maritime Surveyors from around New Zealand and Australia are gathering in Wellington today and tomorrow at the Maritime NZ facilitated workshop discussing matters of significance and updates from within the industry.

That is very likely what it is.... !!

Here in the land of Oz we are going through a very major set of changes.

The majority of anything to do with boats, is going to be regulated for the whole country by the one governing body.

This has involved many months of discussions as state by state rules get amalgamated into a national set of rules and standards.

(and the wish list of the new body gets stacked on top of that as well )

These new standards cover everything from qualifications to survey regulations. (including even the marine rescue sector).

New course structures for marine qualifications, and indeed even whole new qualifications.

It remains to be seen how it all works out, but I would suggest that ff you dont like paper work and logging everything...then the world may be getting a bit more difficult.

I strongly suspect that NZ will be following along too...(Including compulsory licences ...eg .no licence, no insurance..)...and the need to have a reasonable degree of global "sameness" to all else "legal marine".

While that may be true, what they are trying to achieve is consistency. IMO that's worth the effort.

The industry also needs to support that, just not some of the pedantic crap rules that are coming through. Basic, common sense rules is what we want, not safety as a God. There are many examples of stricter rules coming, when there has NEVER been an issue with gear done to the older standard. Stupid. Expensive. Non productive, except for those making and enforcing the rules - more bureaucratic overheads.

However, there are also those who have sued surveyors for missing things that would have taken deconstruction of the vessel to locate.

It's not as simple as some think, from their one sided viewpoint.

Yep the rules are causing issues. I was talking to someone just yesterday that was telling me they had a Force 10 Gas heater returned, because the purchaser could not find a Gas fitter anywhere to install it for them. They are all frightened by how big the book is that can get thrown at them.