Who the freakin heck is ripping everyone off on this?

There’s a similar plsyground boat in Whitianga, kids have loved it forever. But the council is scrapping it for a new purpose built playground. A little sad but the locals can accept it.

Auckland lives in fantasy land, it’s broke but happy to spend enormous amounts on vanity projects

Yup, you are sure correct there Wheels and if I was not otherwise presently engaged in purchasing Penny Brights abode I too would back you in your endeavours to have the Council buy your lump of concrete for a similar sum.

Obviously the Beachaven residents are in full agreement with this historically important maritime mission of mercy and see no great need for those funds to be allotted towards any other pressing community needs.

At 280k either someone is seriously taking the piss or it includes a lot more work than just the boat.

consultant fees

traffic plan

risk accessment

drainage plan

canvassing of local opinions by marketing compaines

glossy brochures saying how good council are 

webpage to say council are working for you

professional photographers - 2 - because the brochure pro doesn't do web photos 

bilingual signage

consultations with various iwi

special painting of the concrete with culturally sensitive murals 

opening party (needing its own set of all of the above)

hey, now taxpayers will pick up some of the tab for the train-set

and developers will pay for new residential infrastructure 

ratepayers money can be used to alleviate child poverty

3.B, (j) - safe, culturally applicable, outdoor play equipment poverty

• Upvote 2

Nauseating. It really shows contempt for the families of the people who go to work every morning to earn the money council extorts to pay for this kind of nonsense. If they really believe in this they should take a bucket door to door around Beach Haven and collect donations.

• Upvote 2

We used to be moored almost directly across from it. I actually had no idea it was FC. But anyway, the Kids played on it a little, but not that much. i imagine being exposed to the weather and birds, the inside was probably not the best for playing in. But there were always Kids jumping off the Wharf. It would be far better to create some kind of floating dock with a jumping off platform on it for the Kids to play on, than spend any money on that thing.

The madness continues. 1 Million for a report that achieves nothing but recommend another report

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/-1m-auckland-stadium-report-gives-no-conclusion-recommends-another

That'll be why Goff refers to it as a "pre-feasibility study." http://bit.ly/2rWr7QF

But I guess when you're angling to spend north of 1.1 billion of other people's money, it pays to soften those people up with a few of these first. To use my earlier bucket comment as an analogy, if someone really thought a stadium made actual financial sense, they could float a development company on the NZSX and let people make up their own minds about whether to buy in to it. But giving people a choice is not how thugs operate.