bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new jacket and have settled on Musto after some reading. But the question is now one of HPX or MPX - both Ocean versions of the jacket.

Other than about $500 difference in price, I am wondering if I really need the HPX - most of my sailing is NZ coastal - and its pleasure sailing at that.

I don't intend to be going to the Auckland Islands. The coldest place I could possibly imagine I would ever go might be Fiordland but for the most part my Oceanic voyages will consist of heading north on the 1st of May towards Fiji as fast as possible.

We don't have a solid dodger - but do have a large solar array on the radar arch. 

Thoughts?

#2 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

Hi

We have used HPX for some time and do go to the places you don’t. We have been happy with the gear but will replace with something lighter and not so expensive when time comes. Bad weather is a small percentage of sailing time and the HPX is heavy when worn for drizzle or spray protection. Hope this helps

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,933 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Buy whatever you think will be good for NZ coastal. You'll hardly use real wet weather gear heading north, it's just too hot.
What will suit on a cruising boat really depends on the shelter in your cockpit, and the amount of work on deck that your boat requires.
I haven't used my wet weather gear on my boat for years! Since leaving Wellington...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Ive got HPX,  I rate it if you like going sailing in winter. Crappy gear like Gill works ok for a season, then its useless forever. That said its about the $$, I only got mine because it was a previous years model and I got a 1000 off.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#5 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

Ive got HPX,  I rate it if you like going sailing in winter. Crappy gear like Gill works ok for a season, then its useless forever. That said its about the $$, I only got mine because it was a previous years model and I got a 1000 off.

Yeah - a quick google and I wrote off that Gill stuff fast.

$1000 off? Thats some serious discount.

#6 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Previous owner told me he never used wet weather gear in 8 yrs. If he got wet he'd go below and have a shower.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#7 splat

splat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Funny comments, that is not my experience with Gill at all.

#8 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

Not just Gil most of the coastal stuff leaks after a year.
We use these for when it's cold and wet really impressed. Still like new 18 months on. Bit of work to get on and off but very waterproof and warm. Have to be careful not to sweat in them though.

https://www.nzsailin...aw-u-zip-520796

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#9 Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe Hamptons

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

I previously used Musto for many years however felt the quality is not as good as it used to be. Their early stuff was much better (IMO)

I now use Helly Hansen and find it excellent

There is an ocean range and a coastal range 

Their website is https://www.hellyhan...sailing-jackets

Cheers

Dr Dave

Dr Dave

" I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I just squandered "
George Best

#10 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

I had musto, dont think it lasts well enough to watrant the price tag. Ive got some helly hansen ocean stuff from a few years ago, def prefer it to musto, but its getting old. Im in the market for some new gear before RNZ, will prob go with zhik or gill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users