12 replies to this topic

#11 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

Not just Gil most of the coastal stuff leaks after a year.
We use these for when it's cold and wet really impressed. Still like new 18 months on. Bit of work to get on and off but very waterproof and warm. Have to be careful not to sweat in them though.

https://www.nzsailin...aw-u-zip-520796

I've seen those and have been eyeing them up. Price is better than just a jacket for the top name brands, and the drysuit aspect has to be a bonus when its wet and shitty out.

#12 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

I've seen those and have been eyeing them up. Price is better than just a jacket for the top name brands, and the drysuit aspect has to be a bonus when its wet and shitty out.

Yes as I said we are pretty happy with them.

They are a bit to hot for the northern summer.

It was a revelation to still be warm and dry after crashing through waves and rain for two days in leg3 of the last RNI. Definately good to put on when things a looking cold wet and dark.

They have a handy flap when going for a pee but no2's are a bit more work. We ended up cutting the feet off ours so they slipped over our boots.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#13 lizalonzi

lizalonzi

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

I've got Musto. I purchased the previous season's jacket on clearance from waveinn.com, and (touch wood) and it's currently on year 4 (racing 1-2 or more times per week) with no sign of weakening.

When I was ocean racing, most people had HPX. They all agreed it was amazing when things got really hairy, but somewhat overkill for everything else. I think you will be fine in MPX considering what you're looking to do. Maybe go and try it on at a chandlery and see?

This post has reminded me again that I need new bibs... Sigh. Goodbye, paycheck. I hardly knew thee.

Oh, and if you don't care about colour you can usually get white at a discount because it stains pretty much immediately.

✨✨✨

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users