I thought I might throw this one to the gurus. Decided to modify our bow roller and noticed moisture underneath. More exploration and found the stem head plate /bow roller had been mounted on bloody plywood! Her timbers underneath are not rotten and drying out nicely so will treat with everdure when dry. My question is, what to replace this ply with? Destroyed it getting it off as it was quite damp, probably rotten. Was thinking glass? Or should I get some kauri cut up to fit?

20180521_110230.jpg

Looks good, this why you were right to buy a quality build in the first place. You get get out jail free cards like this.

You can thin west but everdure is already thinned, so despite the fact the poisons that made it such an effective killer of mould and boat builders are now removed, I would probably use it myself. I'd also be looking at that wee triangle of space and seeing where that went as it has the potential to be the classic rot pocket. If it's just a blind hole I would fill it with epoxy or epoxy plus blocking.

I personally would and have replaced stuff like that with some timber, kauri, teak, something of moderate density and with some inherent rot resistance, because that way you hand on the get of jail free card.

Say you just put a screw into timber, do you need to use a sealant with it? Imaginary example- put a cup hook outside somewhere (to hang your cup) : would you smear something on the thread ?

Am using the Bostick Simson nowadays.

Thanks guys! Lots to think about. I take it "West" is straight west system epoxy? I used everdure on our shaft log, was recommended with a fizzing gland and worked well. Timbers are kauri, dry and yes the pit is blind, if you look at the ply I ripped out, you can see the wedge that has been shaped to fit in there screwed to it. Reids built the hull 1966 in Whangarei for my granddad who did the rest, can't imagine he would use plywood but, it has lasted until now! Just checked it, a hot sunny day and drying out nicely. Dodged a bullet!!?

Another note. No bolts. The stem plate was screwed in with ss countersunk screws which have obviously come lose over time and let water in. Same as Vic008, used to use sikaflex and simson does a better job but would need a sealant that doesnt dry out?

I thought the best way is to drill oversized holes for screws and then fil with epoxy allow to harden and then drill smaller holes for the screws so that there’s an epoxy layer between the screws and the timber and the timber stays dry

Native is sort of right with the "old school thinking" comment. But it was for a different reason. The original idea was to stop water from being taken up in ply when used as a skin. Like say a ply dinghy for instance. But what International found was that as the Solvent evaporated, it left tiny holes in the epoxy, which still took up the water. So so dinghy still increased in weight. However, the idea of strengthening soft timber, or stopping rot still works for Evadure or any of the other similar products. But it is becoming stupid expensive for just Epoxy and Solvent. I simply mix Epoxy solvent into Epoxy myself and I reckon that ends up being cheaper. It is still a great means of stiffening up some soft timber or ply. 

The other thing to watch is SST Fasteners. It is best to use Silicon bronze where ever you can. SST will rust completely away in Timber if it gets wet. It may as well be plain steel it rusts so quickly.
As said by others, use something to seal the holes. What has been said is fine, or another way is drill the hole, screw home the fastener, then remove it and dribble in Evadure or epoxy. Let it harden and with a smear of Sealant on the thread, screw it home again. The wood is now extra strong holding the thread and waterproof.

Ever dure is a waist of time it’s changed from what it was , so thin your own resin very thin and saturate the hole area a couple of times , keep pouring it in till it won’t take any more and reuse with ply and do the same and glass over ,

Ever dure is a waist of time it’s changed from what it was , so thin your own resin very thin and saturate the hole area a couple of times , keep pouring it in till it won’t take any more and reuse with ply and do the same and glass over ,

Seems everyone of the same opinion? Evadure is not good? Waiting for a quote from the boat yard but if I go it alone, good advice in here. Thanks all. Speaking of boat repairs, thought you might like these taken this morning. Noel at it on 'Ruah' with Stockholm tar, copper sheeting and red lead! A shipwright at work!

20180522_085554.jpg

20180522_084952.jpg

20180522_084835.jpg

To make your own "everdure" pop down to the paint shop and get some xylene, add about 10 to 15% to the mixed epoxy

Thanks! Will do if the yard doesn't do the job. Going to walk over now for the quote...

Noel is a great boat builder and a better sailor. Might even be a Blue water award recipient if my memory serves me correctly.

Masina first and then Sina.

If I had the everdure I'd use it, if I didn't I might brew up some thinned epoxy, because there's always a set of that sitting waiting.

A friend suggested this before applying anything else:

http://www.acemarine.co.nz/ace-121-timber-preservative.html

We used that when re-doing our (plywood) deck.

Same as everdue but without the price associated with the brand name. Kauri boat also.

If you get really keen, you can thin it down and do two or three applications, the first very thin, the next one or two less so. It penetrates further, but at lower concentrations. Warming helps it penetrate as well.