55 replies to this topic

#21 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,029 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

You can rely on them . It's what decisions do you make based on the data they give you.

Would you attempt a 100m entrance in zero visibility with gps? Gps plus radar? But what do you gain by doing so and what do you risk? Whats wrong with heaving to till dawn anyway?

These are human decisions that too many get wrong.

Just GPS that's one source, GPS and Radar, better, but that's 2 sources. It's night, so eyeball is no good in an unlit entry.

GPS and Radar agree, and fwd scanning sonar all agree with chart? I'd still be reluctant 1st time through there at night. Might try it in calm conditions, if any of those things disagreed at all, no way.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#22 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

experiment... shows for me ,Photobucket is working again ( for how long I don't know). I always liked this photo taken when we were hove to off the Kermadecs on my mates 46 ft Davidson.

Usually windy days and high sea states don't really show up that way in photos, but this kind of captures the feel eh.

IMG_9634_14.jpg

#23 prince rupert

prince rupert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Thank you for that BP. As you know I have  a cav 32 too so invaluable info!!!!

I will try this as soon as I get a chance. So far I heaved to with the jib on....obviously not in heavy conditions, just too take a break and have some food... or fishing...hahha

cheers!

#24 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Excellent post BP, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience

#25 Terry B

Terry B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

Hi team, I have a Whiting 29 - any recommendations for a drogue for this size/type of yacht?

One of those things I'II probably never use - but will need if I don't have one  :wtf:

I'm not going off shore, just tootling around the gulf, up to BOI maybe and hopefully the mercs.

But it can get nasty in the gulf - it's those short steep seas you get that throw mine sideways or down the hole...........

TERRY

We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police do....................

#26 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,029 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

Nah Terry, unless you are going offshore, a drogue is not required.....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#27 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

You want one to stop the boat or to use as a control devise?

#28 Terry B

Terry B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Control Device KM.

To set the scene, last year came back from Gt Barrier with a steep sea and 25 knots - both up the stern, crewing on my mates Beneteau 35 footer.

The seas picked her up and tried to either throw her sideways or run her down the front of the bigger waves into the trough nose first.

Never felt in control, felt to me that we were going to fast..........but I could be wrong.........I've not a lot of experience in the bigger seas.I tend to cruise innner gulf and only venture further in good conditions. Which can turn to custard as we all know.

I know it's completely different hull shape to mine.

I'm planning on trying a few things next time I get into some similar conditions in order to see what works.

TERRY

We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police do....................

#29 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

100 m or so of line towed in a bight off each quarter would slow things down considerably and easy to retrieve later. I have a Jordan series drogue to try but I wouldn’t use it in the gulf as they can be hard to pull back in , not something you would put out for an hour or 3.

#30 Terry B

Terry B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

Thanks TL. I'll try that. Might even just play with that in lighter conditions to see what the effects are.

So you agree that slowing down is the correct way to go?

I'd try to go faster than the seas but I've yet to add the foils  ;-)

TERRY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users