12 replies to this topic

#1 Rafin

Rafin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice please, heading to Fiji, Vanuatu soon and have an older non GPS ipad2. Have downloaded Google Earth maps on and will run it through an iridium phone. Does anyone know if we can connect GPS to this iPad. Figure it would be a good extra to the Chartplotter.
Thanks.
Life is what you make it!

#2 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

You can get a bluetooth gps unit for these. I might even have one somewhere you can use. You can then install navionics on the ipad as a backup chartplotter.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 Rafin

Rafin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Will, I'll be in touch.

#4 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

They have wifi. If you have wifi on the boat instruments, they can broadcast the gps data, and the ipad can use it.
If not, you can load an app on your phone to share its gps data with the ipad, over Bluetooth or wifi.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Yip easy to do if you have your oat instruments networked via wifi.  I do that on our yacht.  

#6 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

If you want a backup, probably better to keep it separate from your boat's network. At least that is how I would do.

#7 Farina

Farina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Yes you can connect to GPS with an old ipad.  You need a bad elf gps. [www.bad-elf.com]. That will connect you to GPS Satellites and GLONAS. what type of connection does your ipad have? if its the old original wide connection, I have a bad-elf that will fit.

#8 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

Go the simple route, get the model with the inbuilt GPS chip set, why have add on bits and pieces. I've used a IPad mini as back up for the last 3 coastal classics and the Garmin Blue chart cartography. There is a good selection now available for the cartography. Works well down below, not designed for use at the helm. Gives you a nice simple stand alone backup.

Preferred backup at the helm is a Garmin 78, fits nicely in the phone pocket of the wet weather gear, around 16 hours on 2 AA batteries.

Ross 650 Farr 940

#9 Rafin

Rafin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. It's an old iPad with wide plug as a matter of interest. Anyway a simple resolution has been found, I am simply going to swap iPads with my son for the trip, his is flasher and GPS equipped. He is doing part of the trip with us so can make sure it works for me!
Thanks again.

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

If it's only a backup.

Waterproof robust built for purpose Handheld GPS, chart, plotting gear - approx $250

Delicate not made for purpose iPad - $

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users