#11 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

Yeah i see  CI reg is likely to be a few thousand straight off the bat, + surveryors fees + notary +  Appointment of a Cayman Representative Person (of course a service charged for) + a few other hoops + annual fee. Might be worth it though.

The registration issues are manifold:

1. Boat is owned by a German, so it can't be reg in NZ until she's got a permanent nz residency permit.

2. We're not resident in EU and are legally exporting from EU so I'm not in a hurry to pay 20% VAT voluntarily, just for the ease of registering in an EU land. You have 18 moths for boat to leave the EU after exporting. Additionally, I've read that if you take an EU tax paid boat out of EU for +3y, you have to pay VAT again when you come back! (which sounds like theft). 

3. Happy to pay Swiss VAT import it to Swissland and register it as Swiss but a.) nowhere to keep it here, and b.) not a citizen so can't register in the Swiss ocean registry (Cat. A or B boats).

hence the requirement for an alternative flag.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#12 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:09 AM

Yeah i see CI reg is likely to be a few thousand straight off the bat, + surveryors fees + notary + Appointment of a Cayman Representative Person (of course a service charged for) + a few other hoops + annual fee. Might be worth it though.

The registration issues are manifold:

1. Boat is owned by a German, so it can't be reg in NZ until she's got a permanent nz residency permit.

2. We're not resident in EU and are legally exporting from EU so I'm not in a hurry to pay 20% VAT voluntarily, just for the ease of registering in an EU land. You have 18 moths for boat to leave the EU after exporting. Additionally, I've read that if you take an EU tax paid boat out of EU for +3y, you have to pay VAT again when you come back! (which sounds like theft).

3. Happy to pay Swiss VAT import it to Swissland and register it as Swiss but a.) nowhere to keep it here, and b.) not a citizen so can't register in the Swiss ocean registry (Cat. A or B boats).

hence the requirement for an alternative flag.

What's the issue with the Dutch registry, is it a vat issue? Couldn't you register as Dutch bit with vat paid in Switzerland?

#13 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:16 AM

I am trans ocean Reg and have enquired with nz customs, plus have talked to other nzers who have left with TO Reg no problems apparently. There are thousands of boats sailing worldwide using it to clear in and out of everywhere. Hopefully I will leave later this year for Fiji, no problem returning asNZ customs records the fact that you left in a nz boat although not NZ registered,and will not try to charge duty etc on returning

I'm confused about trans ocean, I thought it just provided a recognised proof of ownership, a lack of which can be an issue where registration isn't compulsory like NZ and UK. However that's a different issue from ship registry. Every yacht traveling overseas must have a flag state registration, only flag states can issue that, trans ocean won't be able to issue a flag state registration for any nation... or can they? That's what you are saying, but I can't see how it's done.

In your case are you sure trans ocean aren't just providing you with proof of ownership, but your boat is remaining on its current shipping register (which in your case might be Vanuatu from memory?).

#14 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

No I only have the one certificate but yes I will still fly the nz flag the to Reg does not mean I can fly the German flag.

#15 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

Trans ocean is a german club most members are German citizens and so will fly the German flag however they also have many members from other countries who use the registration. I get sent a lovely magazine every 2 month with lots of interesting sailing articles all in German. The certificate lists your home port which for me is Im nz.

#16 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

Like TL I ran it past customs here and was told ok. Yet to be fully tested.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#17 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

For the doc if all else fails just register in langkawi. They'll take the money and register anyone. You will fly a Malaysian flag.

#18 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

Like TL I ran it past customs here and was told ok. Yet to be fully tested.

You mean trans ocean?

I'm intrigued about it, I can't see how registering with a German private club counts as flag state registration for clearing purposes. I'm keen to know how it works in a legal sense.

#19 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Me too. Will let you know shortly. Customs man said all he needed was proof of ownership.
So far I've only got $150 invested so if it doesn't work I'll go back to the langkawi option.

#20 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

The proof of ownership is interesting my last boat I bought in Australia and registered in NZ before sailing to Auckland. To register in nz they changed 1000$ but required no proof of ownership receipts etc just a photo of the boat. At least trans ocean asked for receipts covering purchase and preferably going back 5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users