86 replies to this topic

#21 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Doc - have you looked at UK registration? To be honest I've only looked at part 3 registration and that requires that you are UK resident.

Part 1 registration doesn't look like it requires residency though and seems to be open to EU nationals as well as UK. The admin is a bit more involved but the fees don't seem high. As far as I can tell the only extra requirement is a tonnage certificate, but maybe your builder could supply that.

I haven't looked into in detail though, no time! Just thinking about it for the future if I need to register a boat in NZ or Aus.

#22 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

How about the other CI, Cook Islands:

https://www.maritime...tering-a-yacht/

#23 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

How about the other CI, Cook Islands:
https://www.maritime...tering-a-yacht/

Isn't that pretty steep for fees?

#24 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

Yep. I rejected cook is due to fees.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#25 Tim C

Tim C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationWarkworth, and the World!

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Looks to be just over 1000 NZD for 5 years, compared to other flags thats not too bad. But, cat one, or more accurately the surveys and fees to certify cat 1 are ridiculous.

Don't some of the Pacific Islands have yacht registries?

Has anyone actually cleared out of NZ in a foreign flagged but NZ owned and domiciled yacht? I'm curious to know if Customs try and treat you as an NZ flagged vessel.

Have you actually talked to a YNZ Cat 1 inspector? And then identified what is on the Cat 1 list you'd happily not have aboard and leave for the deep blue ocean? I don't think the process is as ridiculous or as expensive as you'd think, relatives to the safety advantages for you and your crew... 

#26 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

Absolutely agree Tim....Ive found it reasonable in the past.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#27 Tillsbury

Tillsbury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

I agree.  Although I'm only doing coastal cruising at the moment, I'm pretty much equipped with everything on Cat1 barring the liferaft (we will sell this one and upgrade to Cat1 type when setting off).  I think I'm short one bucket with lanyard.  The only thing I'd question is the specific wording of the crew requirements, but assuming that the inspector is reasonable I'm sure they would make a judgement call on experience at the time.  If an inspector really thinks that you have all the equipment but still shouldn't be leaving, then it's probably time to have an objective look at yourself.

#28 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Have you actually talked to a YNZ Cat 1 inspector? And then identified what is on the Cat 1 list you'd happily not have aboard and leave for the deep blue ocean? I don't think the process is as ridiculous or as expensive as you'd think, relatives to the safety advantages for you and your crew...

I agree, I wouldn't do any ocean sailing without being cat 1 equipped.

This is always the argument when it comes to safety. How can you have a problem with paying X amount of fees or jumping through X hoops? It's all for your safety!

Why is NZ the only major sailing country that does this? Especially as cat 1 doesn't last beyond exit, it's a pretty hefty departure tax for an NZ flag.

#29 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Current situation. I do not know if I'm heading north this year or not. When I find out I want to leave immediately.
If I go through the hassle and expense of cat 1 it could be wasted money. If I don't do it I can't leave in the time frame I have.
Register offshore problem goes away and I save money.
What would you do ?
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#30 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

The cat 1 check itself isnt that expensive. Its the NZ registration.....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users